{{gwi:458567}}

{{gwi:458568}}

{{gwi:458569}}

{{gwi:458570}}

{{gwi:458571}}

Comments (14)

• bambi_too
    14 years ago

I just love those things. I have hummingbird plants sprinkled throughout the Daylily beds. Oddly enough they don't seem to like Daylilys. I had one hover about 3 inches from my face last year as if it was trying to remind me to refill the feeder.

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I was expecting some ant pictures. I've never seen a humming bird in my yard.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Gonzer, great pics! Motion is beautifully frozen. Birdie and plants are nice too. Would you like one of my sulphur crested cockatoos? You can choose from a hundred or so, but the pair nesting outside my bedroom window come with the highest recommendation. Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gonz

Nice nature pic's of your little visitor creating some "Humming Bird Hybrids".

Why don't you take Paul up on his offer of the White Cockatoos. That way you won't be worried by Humming Birds cause the cockies will eat your house, shade house and tillys and there wont be anything there to attract the Humming Birds.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yeah and on top of that you will never need an alarm clock ,a watch dog ,a burglar alarm etc ,I would say that Paul will also pay a substantial amount of money for you to take them as well ,its a bargain hey Paul ?

Nev i have send you the adress for the Orchid Mix as you asked ,
    cheers Jack

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Aww.... I miss hummingbirds! I grew up with them in California but we don't have any in Hawaii. I suppose I might consider them an enemy if I was trying to pollinate Bills, Vrieseas, Tillies, etc. before they got to them, but I would actually appreciate their ability to pollinate Heliconias. Puerto Rico has an active hummingbird population and they get seed set on species that won't do it here. They also have a record number of heli hybrids popping up in people's gardens. Most human attempts (including my own) to duplicate their efforts have failed, for whatever reason. They just seem to know the trick.

My worst bird enemy so far is bulbuls, who like to pull the petals off of flowers or even pull the pollination tags out of Neos, grrr. I'm glad we don't have a substantial wild cockatoo population, though. At least not yet. I've seen the odd one or two flying around here, but I used to work at a bird park that was right next door to Lyon Arboretum, and some of the escapees from there have bred and are causing damage to some of the Arb's rare plants, particularly the palm collection. Apparently the bird uses its beak to dig out the single growing meristem of a palm and make its nest there, AACK! DO NOT WANT.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Problem solved. My neighbor, who (I guess) is a rich Army guy because he says he's a Soldier of Fortune showed up today and took care of the problem. Man, I didn't know them little guys has SO many feathers! here's a pic I shot of J.R. in action.

{{gwi:458572}}

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

LMFAO! Thanks for the good belly laugh, Gonz! I wish that rich army guy would deal with my crows.

K :)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hello cocky!

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Always been a firm believer in using an Elephant gun to kill a fly ,there's no such thing as overkill ,Paul you could use that guy to fix up your feral deer hmmm?

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Char-grilled venison? Yum!

• stephania
    14 years ago

Something like your funny pic now happen here in Bangkok City, Gonz!

I hate those bad potiticians who give us the worst crisis, and riots for my entire country.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Chanin, I hope you are OK up there. I have a brother and his Thai wife in Bangkok and understand that there are some pretty difficult issues involved and it sure is cause for concern. I hope it settles down soon. All the best, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Chanin,

Good to see you're OK. It's terrible when this type of thing happens, especially in such a beautiful country as yours.

Stay safe and keep your head down.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions