o
RE: Till growers, what am I?

On my screen they look out of focus

o

T. bulbosa and stricta?

o

Pretty good eye Lisa...for a Neo grower. Yep, garden-variety bulbosa and T. 'Houston', a stricta hybrid that's never bloomed for me, real big. It's fun to watch hummingbirds flitter around the bulbosa because of it's color even without flowers. The bottom photo shows a bulbosa x (supposedly) streptophylla which is one of the more unusual shaped plants I've got. These guys can reach one foot in length.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow Gonzer, that is a wild Tilly. Is that in full bloom already? Something kind of screams ionantha if the flowers are that nested, right? Or at least another nested bloomer.

o

Agreed Andy. It could possibly be a streptophylla x bulbosa f2 crossed with ionantha, if that's possible. That's a question for the breeders.

o

I agree it has an ionantha look. It should be possible, assuming you have decades of your life to devote to it. But why F2? Is that what the tag said? That seems like an arbitrary addition of 7 or 8 years to the formula!

o

F2's what it said on the tag years ago Lisa. It came from Birdrock. Check out FCBS too, although that plant has extended inflorescence.

o

Maybe it could have just been a little jumbled and they meant (strept x bulbosa) x ionantha and the F2 was just referring to the fact that it was a 2nd generation cross in a general sense rather than a proper F2. Or they thought it was an F2 and some ionantha pollen got in there instead? Cool plant no matter what!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here