• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! That is awesome!!

• paul_t23
    15 years ago

What a ripper! Love the contrasts. Cheers, Paul

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

When we cross two Dyckia species hardly we get an army of equal individuals. The resulting seedlings may be different from each other. If you cross again the same plants they may have a totally different result again. Dyckias are extremely unstable and even distint plants form very isolated populations in wilderness produce plants extremely different form one another. It is not ever that one produces the same kind of hybrids crossing the very same plants! That is the main or one of the main factors Dyckias amaze me. When you visit a Dyckia spot in nature you may at first glance observe no difference among the individuals but if you take time and really observe the intire population you will see very noticeble changes.
    This is the way Nature responds to changes in the enviroment, challenges. If all individuals were exactley the same when a change in the enviroment lead one individual to death most or all individuals would perish too and the species would be vanished from Earth.
    Dyckias in a general way show this clearly.
    Dyckias are very unstable and when needed they reveal this. One of the easiest way to notice this is by crossing. Today taxonomist learned that for describing a Dyckia with sureness some years of cultivation and observation are needed. Many, many mistakes were taken before the toxonomist realized this. Taxonomist rarely goes to field and when they do they just pass by briefly. Ah, Dyckias trives in such places....some places not even a goat goes there.
    Also we can not count on a very decent book guide just on Dyckias. A kind of a comprehensive guide to the Dyckia genera. This must be done to help people around the world.
    The word science found for The genera is horrendous to me. Says nothing, means nothing and certanly the guy who named the genera never knew South America. There is a word here for this kind of plant that is understood in all South American countries: gravatá or caraguatá. It is aa native indian name. This would be a proper name. Instead science prefered to honer such and such. Dyckia...almost a gross name! Isn´t it? Oh,my....Nothing is forever not even diamonds. We can change this! Just a matter of willing...of course with all the due respect ot used when decided for this ugly name, to say the least.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://dyckiabrazil.blogspot.com/

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions