Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephania_gw

Dyckia brevifolia 'Yellow Glow', my glowing Dyckia

stephania
18 years ago

Hi Bromelians,

Beyond silver Dickias, I would like to recommend this beautiful cultivar for your collection. It will enhance your garden coloring. But most important, you have to give the plant at least 5-6 hours of bright sunlight to make it glowing like this.

{{gwi:458993}}

{{gwi:458994}}

{{gwi:458995}}

Comments (9)

• pllove
    18 years ago

Beautiful collection!

• hanwc
    18 years ago

Beautiful. I have one now but it has been neglected for a while and I put mine in a shady spot. Then I realise the glowing starts to disappear. Now I move it to a sunny spot. Do you think the glowing can be brought back?

• bihai
    18 years ago

I have about 8 of these that I have been babying along for several years. Nice shots!

• stephania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Months ago, they look more green as I placed them in darker corner, but when the lath-net was moved out, so they are glowing.

Yes, your green plant will be back to 'Glowing' again if you give enough sunlight.

Hey Bihai, you can make them glow around your paradise garden.

• bihai
    18 years ago

Mine are always uniformly yellow. I will take a photo Sunday, we are going away for the day tomorrow

• LisaCLV
    18 years ago

Really lovely, Stephania! The 'Yellow Glow' makes such a nice contrast with the silver-foliaged types.

• bob740
    18 years ago

Hello again Stephania. Your pictures are excellent,and much appreciated. I always look forward to your postings,and usually learn a thing or two as well. Your 'yellow glow' are perfect. Some are sold here by the name of 'moon glow', but are the same plant. You've convinced me to get some for my collection. Thanks, Bob

• bihai
    18 years ago

One thing I will say about Yellow Glow...it seems to be more susceptable to a crown rot than any of the other Dyckias I have grown. I have lost 2 that way since I started trying to grow it. But its a really nice plant and I love it a lot. I lucked into a small matt a couple of years ago (thus increasing my collection by 100%) when a friend of mine who had been experimenting with planting them outdoors had a fair sized colony freeze in temps that went to the teens. She was going to compost them but I took them and babied them for a bit and eventually got 4 to grow back out of the matt. They tend to be slow for me.

• stephania
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Bihai you are absolutely right, this cultivar seem to rot-prone if keep it too high humidity. My friend who lives in southern region where always has heavy rainfall lost a clump of 10 'Yellow Glow' last two years!!

I've to spray my plants once a month with fungicide to control the fungus attacking.

We may overlook that the plant is actually a variegated form, that means it can absorb less water and nutrients, due to loss of food-manufacturing chlorophyll that makes it weaker than other normal bromeliads.

Now, two of mine are shooting about 10 of small pups and the bigger one is going to separate its head to three palnts...Yeh!

Sponsored
More Discussions