Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sosaysi

Tillandsia help

sosaysi
14 years ago

I have had this bromedliad for about a month now and it looks like it's not doing well but I don't know why. The edges of the leaves are brown and dry like they've been burnt (picture: http://greennowanhs.webs.com/photo.jpg) and the pink thing that the flowers come from looks like pieces of the top layer have been chipped off and every time a flower blooms it starts dying and sagging (picture: http://greennowanhs.webs.com/photo2.jpg). I've made sure it gets plenty of sun and water, what is wrong? What should I do?

Comments (4)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi,

It's a Tillandsia cyanea or close hybrid and that is just what they do. NB the best way to post pictures on this forum is to set up an account at photobucket (or similar) and use the html line so that the picture is visible in the posting. If you use another website URL, it can look like you are just trying to generate hits on that website (this happens). Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi sosaysi,

Good to see another new member joining our ranks and I hope you have a happy association with us discussing our favourite love, bromeliads.

Although I'm not all that knowledgable about Tillandsias, from what I've seen with my cyaneas I tend to agree with Paul.

I find I also get the die-back on the leaf tips and thought it was just a natural part of the growing cycle. The flowers which come out of the "pink thing" (which is commonly referred to as a paddle) are relatively short lived but this is made up for by the beautiful perfume.

As for posting pic's, like Paul says, set up an account at photobucket or similar (Photobucket is the site most of us use) and use that to post your pic's. If you use the search engine at the top of the page and type in photobucket, you'll get plenty of instructions about how to do it.

Finally, as Gonzer is our resident Tillandsia expert, I'll leaved it up to him to answer your questions in more depth.

All the best, Nev.

• User
    14 years ago

Brown tipping and crackling on cyanea are sure signs of low humidity. Mist it frequently. You could also take it out of the sun and move to a less direct light source. I grow mine in shady yet bright spots outside where they're constantly getting wet (inadvertantly) from me watering other stuff.

• geebus
    14 years ago

I can offer you no help at all with Till's but I'm pretty good at linking photo's for people :)

{{gwi:459145}}

And again.

{{gwi:459146}}

Good luck!
    Gordon.

Sponsored
More Discussions