Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Variability in F2's: Dyckia 'Brittle Star'

bihai
17 years ago

I have three plants that are F2's of Dyckia "Brittle Star". What I would like to know is, WHY is the 'original' Brittle Star unavailable for purchase?

When I inquired about it to Tropiflora, oh, about 2 years ago, they said, "Well, NO ONE can get Brittle Star. Or Toothy"

Later, I inquired again, and they said they had F2's of both Brittle Star AND Toothy.

I have managed to collect 3 different F2's of Brittle Star. I am posting photos of them here, along with a cross of a Brittle StarF2 with Snaggletooth, and plain old Snaggletooth. All of them are markedly different. Just goes to show the variability in seedlings. The photos are: the 3 different Brittle Stars, then Snaggletooth, then Snaggletooth x Brittle Star

Has anyone ever collected the "original" Brittle Star??

{{gwi:459234}}
{{gwi:459235}}
{{gwi:459236}}
{{gwi:459237}}
{{gwi:459238}}

Comments (8)

• stephania
    17 years ago

Oh No...Gorgeous, Friend!!!

Bihai...such a nice teeth, I like all of them, especially that 'Snaggle Tooth'! Now it must be in my want list.

My friend has one plant of the F1 'Brittle Star' from 'The Lord Dyckia' !! Bill Baker. Don't be surprised, for 5 years, that plant has never given even a single pup!! He promise me that as soon as the pup appears I can get one, But when?!!.

I guest in the same generation of the original 'Brittle Star' F1, there would be its brother Dyckia 'Keswick' born too,
    or it was 'Brittle Star' F2 too?.
    Anyhow, via my friend's help, I can get the 'Keswick' which is now produces a dozen of pup here.

This is my 'Keswick' pup, its mother is now 15" in diameter with 10 pups.
    {{gwi:459239}}

I also have a nice hybrid from Baker, Dyckia 'Toothy' x 'Richard Kaz'
    they start shooting 2-3 pups now
    {{gwi:459240}}

I also have an unknown from Bakek, the small one above that two D.'Toothy' x 'Richard Kaz', I love its compact form (only 8-10 cm).
    {{gwi:459241}}

• LisaCLV
    17 years ago

A friend of mine has 'Brittle Star'. I don't know if it has pupped for her or not. The couple of times I've been to the conventions it seems like that is the Dyckia that is most often enter into the judged competition, so somebody must be propagating it. I got a few of the F2s too, and I'm happy with them. Also 'Richard Kaz', which looks kind of similar to me.

Your 'Toothy' x 'Richard Kaz' is a real beauty, Stephania! Do you try to divide your plants to keep them single or do you let them form big clumps? The singles and smaller clumps look nicer, but I hate dividing them... ouch!

• stephania
    17 years ago

Dear Lisa, someone in Australia told me that if I want my Dyckia to bloom more profusely I have to let the plant form a big clumps, I don't know if that would be true or not.

Personally, I prefer to separate any pups which form from the bottom because they usually deform their mother and also themself too. But for the plant-tip dividing (from one head to two or three or more), I will let it gradually form a perfect clump.

I've read from a bromeliad website that most Dyckia species have leaves armed with sharp spikes (except D.'Naked Lady' and D.'Olympiad') that make working with the plants painful. It is often difficult to separate pups from the mother plant. It is helpful to remove the plant from its pot and try to work on it from the bottom.

There are some Dyckias such as D.'Cherry Coke', D.'Red Devil' and D.encholirioides, that I really don't want to separate them anymore because they have too much pups, and no more room for them!! this include some Hechtia (Sometime I call them "Hate-tia" !!)such as H.glomerata too.

• bob740
    17 years ago

Hi bihai,nice photos. I'm surprised about the differences in the 3 f2's . I have an f2 also,and looks exactly like your 3rd pic. The 2nd pic looks a lot like D.velascana,which I also have.If you saw them side by side,you would assume they were the same plant.Your 1st pic. is quite different than the 3rd. So I have to agree with the variabilities in the f2 seedlings. When I purchased my f2,the seller said they picked out their favorite for me from the stock plants they had,mentioning that their were differences in them. So I guess its not unusual.Interestingly,another dyckia cross that was made is D.x(choristaminae x dawsonii)which produced many seedlings,and no two are alike,each one is of a kind. I have some of these too. Another variable dyckia is D.velascana 'La Rioja'. So It may not be so unusual to have different appearences in dyckia seedlings. And it keeps us interested and always looking for something new!
    And as for Stephania's dyckia collection...WOW !! I may have to move to Bangkok !!.... Bob

• stephania
    17 years ago

Welcome Bob!! Thailand is always a land of smiles.

But I've to tell you that, as I knew, there would be only a few(3-4!!) people in Thailand who grow or collect xeric succulent Bromeliad. And I thing I'm the craziest guy!! That why I have to find more new Dyckias friends here and I've found a lot including you, Bob.

As we've known that 'Brittle Star' F1 came from the seed parent, Dyckia dawsonii (I don't have this one!) crossed with the pollen parent, (D.fosteriana x D.platyphylla) by the great hybridizer, Bill Baker. So, the F2 (or F3, F4..) must be appeared a great variation which received from their parentages. I noted the 3rd pics from Bihai look quite like a form of D.fosteriana.

I doubt that if the same result, I mean 'Brittle Star' F1, could be re-created again? Anyhow, if it would be done, it could not be named 'Brittle Star' again, may be 'Brittle Star II' or 'Brittle Star War'!!

As you mentioned a hybrid from D.x(choristaminae x dawsonii), I have one from Bill Baker that look closer to D.choristaminae than the same hybrids which were offered by Yuccado Nursery, all are beauty I agree!!.

Here is my plant, originally from my hero, Bill Baker years ago.
    {{gwi:459242}}

• charlotmteng
    17 years ago

I feel Tropiflora's previous manerger as so kind,once i ask him help me to prepare the orders, he always can help me to do,Like when the 'Brittle Star' be available, they said the hybrid had many different clone, so i ask them sent me different color, so once i got, color really so nice,but now, i was lazy to check their name, just feel the color can be enough let me feel happy.
    some of my collection as below
    {{gwi:459243}}
    {{gwi:459244}}
    {{gwi:459245}}
    {{gwi:459246}}
    below as a coner that i keep my dyckia,very mesic, unlike Stephania
    {{gwi:459247}}

• stephania
    17 years ago

YOU ARE THE ONE!!! CHARLOT

I've never known, until right now...you.. you are also a real Dyckia lover!
    You never told me while you visited Thailand that you kept a ton of them!
    May be I have to visit Taiwan with Chuyos next month!!
    And..don't run away Dycky Boy!!

• Constantino Gastaldi
    14 years ago

Gorgeous in fact!
    WE soon will come up with even more gorgeous hybrids.
    Dyckia insignis and other Paraguayian species are producing an array of gorgeous new hybrids.
    The old platyphylla, choristaminea, fosteriana, marnier, brevifolia, lepostachia will soon give place to some even more gorgeous true species. These will be sooner than we imagine. Respendently beautiful are some of the new findings here in South Brazil.
    Some of these already know hybrids are absolutely Gorgeous no doubt and soon will be taken as classics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyckia Brazil

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions