Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbear1

safe temps in zone 5

gardenbear1
13 years ago

I live in Ma. zone 5 and have a few bromeliads I would like to put out for the summer what is a safe over night temps for them, I would hate to kill them now, they are growing and I've had blooms on 2 of them this winter.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bear

Comments (8)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Bear, It depends on the genus you are growing. Some are more tender than others. Neo's are ok at 45F...Others like Aechmea don't like that temp if its wet.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll wait for a while, its still in the mid 40s at night

Bear

• bambi_too
    12 years ago

I'm in Z5 Ohio. You need to not only wait for the temps, but be careful they don't get too much sun all at once they will sunburn. Here I wait until the trees are leafed out. My plants get good morning sun and then again about 6 to 8 pm. I usually wait until late may to put them out and bring them in mid to late September. They stay on the enclosed porch for 2 weeks so I can check them for bugs and use a systemic on them, I brought in mealy bugs one fall and we are not doing that again. It also allows me to get rid of the fungus gnats and other critters. This also gives me a chance to groom them and remove plants to be sold.

I have not been around in awhile, I had a stroke in Feb. 2010 so last year was a waste and I lost some plants because they were not properly cared for because I couldn't do steps for awhile. With that said I downsized some.

Today, I am healthier than I was 10 years ago and fully recovered.

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Congrats to you Bambi too. Glad to see you posting again.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi Bambi,

That's fantastic news about your successful recovery; and as I once read in a doctor's waiting room, "Today is the first day of the rest of your new life".

You now have many, many happy years of successful brom growing ahead of you and I look forward to again seeing you posting here regularly.

All the best, Nev.

• bambi_too
    12 years ago

Thanks HDD and Nev! Nev, that is pretty much the way I looked at it but called it my mid-life crisis. I was 55 then so I expect to be around a long time yet just to keep some people miserable.

I will have a lot of Neo seedlings blooming this summer so I'll be sharing photos and looking for comments.

• bambi_too
    12 years ago

I just wanted to bump this back up to let the person asking know that my plants will begin the migration this week since the maple has leafed out and I don't have to worry about sunburn.

• Sparrowdancer
    12 years ago

Hi, I just wanted to offer some of my own experiences with bromeliads. I'm in Zone 8 in northern Florida. Winters here are unbelievably cold at times, sometimes into the mid teens. It sometimes snows here. Despite this, my broms have wintered through many a winter. Even my tangerines, grapefruit and lemons have done fine, while the citrus growers down south report crop damage with much warmer temps.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions