Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kabir21

Some Cryptanthus

kabir21
15 years ago

These are my cryptanthus. Some of them were purchased in United States. (Thanks to Dr. Larry and Michael).

The others I bought some time ago in my country (Venezuela), in my country are very few people who collect cryptanthus usually prefer to collect orchids and other bromeliads

Comments (23)

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I do not know how to publish the photos ...

• digitalphrag
    15 years ago

I would suggest signing up for an account at a photo sharing site like photobucket. Sites like that tend to be pretty user friendly, and walk you through the steps to upload your photos. Once you've uploaded your pics, they also provide the HTML code which you can copy and paste directly into your posts on here and any other websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

1. Set up your private account with a free photo hosting site(like photo bucket or webshots)
    2. Load your pictures to your photo site.
    3. To post on GW, under each photo are several web addy's...the HTML is the one you need copy and paste (in photobucket its the the third addy under the photo)
    straight in with your written GW post is. You can paste several photo's by repeating these steps.
    This does require you have two explorer windows open at the same time. One with free photo account and one for GW if you post multiple photo's or you can copy and paste each link onto a notepad for posting to the GW forum

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:459784}}

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Other Photos:

{{gwi:459786}}

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the recommendation. I published two photos ... thank you very much

• stephania
    15 years ago

WOW..Wow wow .Kabir (*_*)"
    Now I know how crazy you are LOL

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Chanin...

jejejejeje... yes, I am addicted to cryptanthus ... I have a few ...

My friend, time without knowing you

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is the only cryptanthus that I did not recognize

{{gwi:459788}}

{{gwi:459790}}

{{gwi:459792}}

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Well done, Kabir!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Kabir,
    Great pic's and thanks for sharing them with us.

Keep 'em coming!

All the best, Nev.

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for your comments. (SPLINTER1804 AND LTECATO)...

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

WOW? Awesome? I really have no words. What a great design.

• hort_lvr_4life
    15 years ago

Hmm. Do you ever get lost? Of my five Bromeliads my two favorite are my Crypts. Not sure as to why just yet, but they just are. I like the pics of the Dyckias I have seen. Your pics will help me pick out my next Crypts.

What a great collection! It's outstanding and I can't believe you don't lose yourself. Of course, you lost your self control, but that's a true collector right? I am truely "green with envy."

• stephania
    15 years ago

Kabir, I noticed that there are also a few Dyckia in your colourful collection.
    One of them look like Dyck. platyphylla, a wide leaft, and what is the orange-brown,
    wide-leaf Crypt. which is near by Dyck. platyphylla, it look quite interesting.

By the way, I think you should move your Dyckias to receive more sun. (^_^)

For ID your unknown Crypt, Dr Larry could help. He's the most expert.
    Where did you get it, a native ? it's a nice one.

Chanin in 'Xeric Garden'

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks (coffeemom, hort_lvr_4life, stephania)....
    thank you very much everybody.

Is a collection that has grown little by little, I have barely a year since I started collecting cryptanthus.
    I have visited many sites looking cryptanthus, unfortunately in my country are not readily available.

certainly i have three dyckias and about 8 orthophytum

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the cryptanthus near the dyckia is a cryptanthus burle-marxii

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the cryptanthus near the dyckia is a cryptanthus burle-marxii

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Kabir,
    Do you think you could share some tips with those of us who are less successful with the culture of these beautiful plants.

Things like, temperature, general climatic conditions, potting mix, watering, fertilizing, where you grow them etc.

I have trouble growing these plants well and I would really appreciate your advice and I'm sure others would also.

Thanks in advance, all the best, Nev.

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greetings friend. I gladly give you some information, tips and tricks on how to grow cryptanthus.
    first: you must remember that cryptanthus are from Brazil
    I live in Venezuela and my country is a neighbor of Brazil. Thus our climates are similar somewhat.

Second: I have a trick, many people share it and others not, but I was doing very well with that trick. I watering my cryptanthus once or twice a week with Humus. I think is a very good natural fertilizer.
    Third: I also have all my cryptanthus under other plants that help to shade. some have more sun than others, but depending on how they grow under these conditions. I put all my cryptanthus in pots, and i seeing how they grow in the sun or shade depending on that, I move cryptanthus to another place.

Fourth: put in the pot: the first layer from top to bottom: anime, then a mixture of peat and humus solid and fern root crushed, always put a bit of carbon in the mixture finally put a bit of potting soil

indeed, all this work for me, but I do not know if they serve other people, I think it depends on weather conditions where you live

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chanin... This is the cryptanthus Burle-marxii
    {{gwi:459794}}

{{gwi:459796}}

{{gwi:459798}}

• kabir21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:459800}}

{{gwi:459802}}