Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do they look healthy

Posted by zeke11854 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 22:47

I purchased some air plants online and they were lost in the mail for over a week. Some of them don't look so healthy to me. Can you tell by the photos if they look like they're dying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do they look healthy

That plant is a goner.

o

Zeke - If those plants were healthy (and dry) when they were packed and if they were packed properly, they should have been able to last well over a week in the post.

I had an order that was lost in the mail for 21 days and was a mixture of Neo's, Vrieseas, Guzmanias and an Aechmea (I don't know about Tillandsias, maybe they don't travel as well). They did look a bit dehydrated on arrival but I soaked them in a mix of 1 cup of sugar to a bucket of water for a few hours and they perked up and looked fine the next day.

Problems arise when plants are packed when wet and left standing in excessively hot or cold areas during stop overs in transit. Also I'm told the cargo holds of some planes if not pressurised get to below freezing at high altitude and the best safeguard against this is to have your plants packed in a polystyrene box as that provides far superior insulation than just cardboard.

I did receive an order once that had been packed while still a bit wet from watering and the leaves had what seemed like scald marks on them. I contacted the seller who confirmed they hadn't been dry and replaced them.

All the best, Nev.

o
After the rain

Hi everyone - Here's a few pic's of some of my brom's after a storm when everything looked so nice and fresh.

photo AFTERTHERAIN032011200.jpg

photo AFTERTHERAIN032011201.jpg

photo AFTERTHERAIN032011199.jpg

photo AFTERTHERAIN032011196.jpg

All the best, Nev.

o

Nev, I always drool over your pictures. Gorgeous!

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Zeke - Sorry about hijacking your post, I don't know what happened there as those pic's should have been on a new post; I'm never gonna get the hang of this!

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here