Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To water or not to water...

Posted by cindymcb (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 23:05

My tropical garden, planted just last spring, is now entering that period when I'm beginning to see which plants are thriving and which are struggling. My boyfriend and I are constantly arguing about how much to water... he thinks more is better, while I tend to think the opposite. Several of the plants are the type that have what I call a tiny little moss patch in the very center of the plant, from which lovely little lavendar flowers bloom. The boyfriend constantly has these little patches -- and the flowers in them -- under water. Good or bad? Also, several of them are growing little polyps on the side. Should those be pruned off for the overall health of the main plant?? Finally, I have 3 of the silvery, tubular plants (sorry, I don't know their name) that grow tall and with a dozen or more "curled" stalks. One of them took me totally by surprise by growing a beautiful flower stalk from the middle of one of the tubes (which promptly died after a freak freezing spell here in SoCalif). So far, the other two show absolutely no sign of doing that. Will they all eventually grow the flower stalk, or is that a "hit and miss" prospect? Anything I can do to encourage that type of growth? Thanks so much for your help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To water or not to water...

Well, first, pictures will always help a lot. But I'm assuming you have a neoregelia of some sort and possibly an aechmea fasciata. Watering is okay both ways. If you keep water in the cup, make sure it is fresh and doesn't start smelling (rot can start at that point). But letting it go dry for a while is fine as well...bromeliads are pretty tough. I think the 'polyps' you may be seeing may be pups or babies coming. Leave those to grow and divide later.

The other plants can flower. Each individual plant will only flower, or try to flower, once and then die. But they will produce pups.

Hopefully my response made some sense. If I'm forgetting something, others will jump in and help (and correct me if needed).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here