Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike4284m

Bromeliad Society of South Florida Show '08

mike4284m
16 years ago

I'm glad the BSSF show fell on one of the rare weekends this year where I could leave the house. The show itself was huge and they had a fair number of vendors as well. Though somehow I ended up only buying things from Eloise Beach. I'll post pics of those later along with a brief tour of Fairchild, the gardens that hosted the show.

Lighting was pretty terrible for pictures but you'll get the idea. Some may be a bit blurry because the plant's colors didn't look right when I tried using the flash.

I think I got a wide assortment of things so hopefully there is something for everyone. Then again you are only seeing the plants I thought were interesting as I would have been there all day if I took pictures of everything!

Display by Bullis Bromeliads

(plants were for sale including $600 for Alc. on right)

{{gwi:460244}}

Biggest Till. clump I ever saw, over 8ft tall easily

(somehow forgot to get its name)

{{gwi:460245}}

Till. funkiana

(Obligatory of course)

{{gwi:460246}}

Till. tricholepis

(This was one of my favorites. Flowers were nothing to write home about but the form was very different)

{{gwi:460247}}

{{gwi:460248}}

Till. flabellata

{{gwi:460249}}

Guz. minor

{{gwi:460250}}

Bill. 'El Zorro'

(This was the only Bill. that caught my eye, but wow!)

{{gwi:460251}}

Neo. 'Hannibal Lector' variegated

(I thought all of these new variegates were HL crosses, not straight HL?)

{{gwi:460252}}

Neo. lilliputiana X ampullacea

{{gwi:460253}}

Neo. 'Grove's Red Tiger'

(Not nearly as nice as the one posted from Oz)

{{gwi:460254}}

Neo. 'Hannibal Lector' X 'Foster's Pink Tips'

(I'm not sure if this adds to or alleviates some of the confusion we/I had before)

{{gwi:460256}}

Neo. eleutheropetala X pendula

(Pretty different huh?)

{{gwi:460257}}

Neo. silvomontana

(Another favorite from the show. I think Kerry has mentioned it before.)

{{gwi:455870}}

Neo. 'Tunisia'

{{gwi:460258}}

Ae. maculata (red form)

(Um . . I'll take two please)

{{gwi:460259}}

Ae. contracta

{{gwi:460260}}

Crypt. glaziovii

{{gwi:460261}}

Or. hazleyi

{{gwi:460262}}

Araeococcus parvaflorus

(Never heard of it. The flowers were tiny.)

{{gwi:460263}}

Art from 8th Grade Class

(I was really impressed. I would have bought some!)

{{gwi:460265}}

More art . . .

{{gwi:460266}}

Wer. kupperiana at sale

(Where was this lady two years ago!!! :o) )

{{gwi:460267}}

Ae. ???

(This was another one from the sale and was unlabelled. Any ideas?)

{{gwi:460268}}

I stayed for my first auction, which I think puts me in a new catagory of obsession that starts with buying broms at department/home stores and ends somewhere with making expeditions into the wild to see/collect broms. They had a fair share of plants from the very common (spineless Ae. fasciata and Vr. splendens) to some more unusual (variegated HL cross and my good friend Hoh. brachycephala). I picked one up towards the latter end of the spectrum, but I'll tell you about it later.

Quiz: One of the broms pictured above was actually misslabeled, well one to my knowledge. Did you catch it? The judge at the show didn't.

Comments (10)

• stephania
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's wonderful Mike, I love the Orthophytum and remarkable Aechmea.

Thanks for sharing...any Dyckia pics ? :-))

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for the pics, Mike! I see several things I want.......

Neo. silvomontana looks like somebody crossed a carcharodon Rubra with Passion. I've never heard of that species but now I have to have one! O. hazleyi is new to me too, and also very cool. Of course Groves' Red Tiger is still high on my list.

Yes the so-called "variegated Hannibals" are all HL hybrids, but I don't think any of them have names yet. Chester's done a bunch of different combinations with it, but if it's variegated then the formula should start with carolinae or it's wrong. Also wrong is the one that says lilliputiana x ampullacea. Got to be some Fireball in the mix there. Is that the one you were thinking of, or is there another?

I think the last Aechmea is either Foster's Favorite or Black Jack, or some other clone of that same cross.

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Mike, very nice pictures, thanks!

The Tillandsia in the 2nd picture maybe Till intermedia. It pups from the top of the flower spike and from the base of the plant.

And yes, the lilliputiana x ampullacea surely is lilliputiana x Fireball, or then the named clone, Chiquita Linda.

And I also have to have one of those silvomontana's, thank you!

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    16 years ago

Thanks for that visual feast, Mike!

I'm keen to see what precious one you won at the auction. If you keep going at this rate, I expect to soon read about your travel itinery for your Amazonian expedition!

Is the "error" the Guzmania minor, instead of Guzmania lingulata var. minor?
    I agree with Lisa that the aechmea looks like A. Foster's Favorite.

I was also very taken with the N. silvomontana - and yes, I have mentioned it before on this forum. That is one of the three relatively newly-discovered species by Filho and Leme in the N. pernambucana complex of N.pernambucana, N. silvomontana and N. gigas. Leme officially described them in "Fragments of the Atlantic Forest of Northeast Brazil" (published April, 2007). They grow near each other (Pernambucano region, Northeast Brazil), and apparently at the time Leme "discovered" them (2000 and 2001), he was unaware that N. carcharodon and its variants had already been discovered, named and circulated. He does make reference to its affinity with N. carcharodon.
    There has been much debate about this complex of neos amongst a few enthusiasts here in Oz. I wonder about where N. Macho (R.L.Frasier) and N. carcharodon Tiger and Rainbow fit in the (new) scheme of things? Unc Derek says the true carcharodon must have white flowers. Here are a couple of pics I took at Olive Trevor's nursery of her recently imported N. pernambucana. I don't know from whom she imported it. Leme says of the complex, that they more closely resemble a wittrockia than a neoregelia. Just stunning!

{{gwi:460269}}

{{gwi:460270}}

N.pernambucana pup
    {{gwi:460271}}

And just to confuse the issue, here is a pic of what Olive thought was N. carcharodon Rainbow, but is not like those so named that I have seen on this forum, or elsewhere from O.S. It is now believed that this could be N. gigas, but it was imported into Oz by John Buchanan in the early 80s, as just N. carcharodon.
    {{gwi:455866}}

I think I'll be studying that book more closely tonight! The photos in Filho and Leme's book of N. silvomontana do look the same as that magnificent specimen photographed by Mike.

Does anyone else know more about this issue?

Cheers,
    Kerry

• winterlager
    16 years ago

Hmmm, this unknown plant of mine does look quite a bit like that Neo pernambucana. Maybe if I stop the fertilizer and increase the light it may give me some color.

{{gwi:460272}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Kerry, I'm all confused (again!) Your N. pernambucana looks more like the silvomontana above than the FCBS photos of pernambucana, and even those two photos don't look like the same plant to me (see link below). The first one looks more like carcharodon Rubra to me, as does your blooming pic of Olive's plant, and Winterlager's too. That form is glossy on both leaf surfaces and has been around for as long as I can remember, but I'm wondering now if it really is a carcharodon. 20 or 30 years ago what was commonly called "carcharodon" in the US was what is now recognized as pascoaliana. When that name became accepted, what had previously been known as c. Rubra became the only true carcharodon, but then Tiger, Silver, Rainbow, etc. came along and it's back to being a Rubra. Just visually, though, it seems to have much more in common with the pernambucana/silvomontana group that with those other carcharodons, or with pascoaliana for that matter, so will the real carcharodon please stand up!

Several years ago I purchased some pups from a friend who had collected them in Brazil. They looked kind of like my carch Rubra, but with smaller spines and more scurf. I asked if they were carcharodon and she said yes, and she was offering them cheap, so I snapped them up. She wasn't that good with names, though, and now I'm thinking they may have been pernambucana, as they resembled the second FCBS photo. If I'd known that I would have hung onto them, but at the time I decided I didn't like them as well as the carch Rubra I already had, so I eventually got rid of them. If they'd had those hot pink tips and big spines I would have kept them for sure! Oh well....

BTW, which book of Leme's are you referring to, and who is the other author? "Filho" is just the Portuguese way of saying "Jr." at the end of a name, and not the actual name.

Here is a link that might be useful: N. pernambucana

• mike4284m
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chanin - Sorry no Dyckias! As per usual there weren't too many, and certainly none to write home about. I will need some help however with an id on one that I picked up a bit ago, so stay tuned.

Thanks for the IDs on the Till. and Ae.

I figured you guys would find some other errors. I should have picked up on the lilliputiana x ampullacea since I think I actually bought some of these in the past from the person that entered them here.

Looking at it now the pic of the oops is kinda dark so maybe it's hard to tell. If you saw it in person you'd see that 'Tunisia' is actually the other popular unnamed plant from the Neo. 'Hannibal Lector' x punctatissima grex. See comparison shot below with 'Tunisia' on right.

{{gwi:460273}}

• winterlager
    16 years ago

Can I assume that the name Carcharodon comes from the genus of the ancient species of shark, like Megalodon? If that is true, you really would expect some big spines on a Carcharodon.

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Your assumption is correct, WL, carcharodon refers to the big shark-like teeth of the species. There is a series of Skotak hybrids (carolinae x carcharodon Rubra) called Jaws, Jaws Too, Grey Nurse, Gummy and Wobbegong.

• devo_2006
    16 years ago

Hi Mike,

I've been away for a few days, so only now able to catch up on posts over the last week. Great photos of some amazing plants...thanks! In the photo of HL x Fosters Pink Tips, there's a little variegated & zonated plant in the top left corner...did you happen to get its name?

BTW... Why have they stopped showing the 'show' photos on FCBS? The last BSSF photos are 2005.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions