Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickta66

Werauhia Sanguinolenta

rickta66
14 years ago

Werauhia Sanguinolenta

{{gwi:460285}}

Ok, I admit they are a little small but they will grow up!

I nearly bought a larger Werauhia Sanguinolenta Rubra a week ago but my money was coaxed away by a few Alcantareas -I'm regretting not buying one after seeing the FCBS pictures.

They looks very Alcantarea like - is anyone growing them or have any advice?

Thanks,

Rick

Comments (16)

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Rick, I have one. It is getting no special treatment, potted up like my other plants and spent some time in my shade house, but is now in the garden. Under 80% white shadecloth it turned pitch black! Now in the garden it is slowly turning green. Ok, it is in a spot where it gets some dappled sunlight in summer, but now with Winter coming on, it gets no direct sun and fairly dense shade. I'll try and get some pictures for you.

Japie

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Japie,

Thanks for the info, I'd love to see that picture when you get a chance.

Rick

• aroideana
    14 years ago

I have grown thousands of these , also the discolour form .
    They seem to not do as well down south . Approx 7 years to flower from seed , and I have several in flower now . Bright light is best . I am not convinced the discolour is act the same sp. as it has a much different form and is a lot smaller .

• solo78
    14 years ago

The best ones I've seen in Australia were up in Mission Beach. They grow and look pretty good in Brisbsane, but I certainly wouldn't say they look their very best here. They like it more humid and tropical. I think the same goes for most Werauhias.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Rick, here are the pictures I promised - sorry it took me so long to get them posted! I thought I took a picture in mid-summer when it was almost pure black, but sadly, I did not. Now it's still dark - but with the black fading to a dark green with the low light intensity. Very late in the afternoon, theres one small splask of sunlight catching it and then it looks stunning with a glowing centre!

Aroideana, do you have a picture of your discolour form?

Here's my red one:

{{gwi:460286}}

And with that little splash of sunlight:

{{gwi:460287}}

Japie

• tomas
    14 years ago

Hi Japie, how does this plant behave during the cold winter? Is it really a tropical plant?

Tomas

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Several years ago I grew seeds from a red/black sanguinolenta, and half the seedlings come out dark (true to the mother) but the other half were green. The green ones had fairly heavy black spotting when young, which mostly faded as they matured, but remained spotted around the leaf bases. Is that the same as the green form you're talking about?

Since the mother self-pollinated I don't see how it could have been anything else, and the inflorescence of the mature plants looks just the same. I didn't notice any size disparity between the two forms, and there weren't any in-between ones either, like you'd see in a hybrid grex; all were either full-on black or green w/spots. I just figured there must be one particular gene for pigment that is either "on" or "off" in this species. I don't know if you'd get the same 50/50 mix from a green parent, but it would be interesting to find out.

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Tomas, I only got my plant at the end of August last year, I will see this Winter if it is unhappy!

Japie

• rickta66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all replies.

Japie, thanks for the photo - that is a good looking plant I'll have to get one.

Aroideana, is discolour the same as rubra?

Cheers,

Rick

• aroideana
    14 years ago

NO , the discolour form was around up here long before the rubra came , it is smaller and flatter . When I first saw pics on fcbs , it showed an all green plant growing on a native roof .. in Wally Bergs travelogue section ..

Michael

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I had some seed of Werauhia kuppegiana given to me about twelve months ago. I know nothing much about it except they all germinated easily and grew OK and are now about 15mm high.

I expect it is probably a pretty common one, but when you don't have any, it's still a start.

{{gwi:460288}}

All the best. Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

It's a super plant, Nev, but spelled "kupperiana". I like it much better than sanguinolenta, with its tadpole-like squiggles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Werauhia kupperiana

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for the spell check. I guess I was so excited to get some different seed and get it planted quickly I didn't do my homework and check my spelling on the label, which incidently is what I have incorrectly called it ever since I got it.

Aw well, back to school.

All the best, Nev.

• HU-683496997
    2 years ago

Hi David - I just wandered onto this page and saw your post - here is the Werauhia Sanguinolenta I purchased on 04/08/18 about the size you have. It took three years to bloom, here is a pic of it’s current state as of today - it is about 4 1/2 feet wide by 4’ tall so far - I am in zone 10a, Martin Cty, FL - hope this helps

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Looks good. When the blooms open start a new post and include the Cactus and Succulent forum as it is more active.

tj

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions