Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

My little garden buddy

LisaCLV
13 years ago

I've been seeing more and more of these gold dust geckos on our property the last few years, but it's rare they will sit still long enough to have their picture taken. They seem quite shy.

{{gwi:460451}}

BTW, he/she is sitting on an Aechmea leaf, so it's not completely OT. ;-)

Comments (16)

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Lisa,

He is a good looking gecko, I reckon he would be brom friendly and would clean up mites and bugs.

Cheers,

Rick

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,

What a beautiful little friend you have. I only get the common brown skinks of various sizes, however I guess it indicates that my yard is healthy.

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Nev.

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

What a cool little feller. Like Nev I only get the common brown skinks in my yard (and a few stumpy tails, brown snakes etc)but would be nice to have some colourful company like that.
    Gold Dust Gecko - not a bad name for a brom! ;-)

Kristan

• vriesea
    13 years ago

My ,what a cute little guy ,how could you not want to have those ,good photo as well , thanks Lisa ,that put a smile on my face
    Jack

• tomas
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    your gecko is to your colorful broms as our is to Hannibal Lecter.

Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:460448}}

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

That link tomas zapped my Firefox browser into a 10cm square..only way out is to select the back button.

• tomas
    13 years ago

I am sorry, no problem for me?!
    Tomas

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Of course I had to click on it anyway, even after the warning. Silly me, it crashed my browser too! Best to stay away from it. Sorry, Tomas.

We have a couple of species of dull brown or speckled geckos that are very plentiful (both indoors and out), plus anole lizards, little brown skinks, and various other small 4-legged reptiles. These little guys from Madagascar have been making inroads into the local population the last several years, though. I don't know what kind of environmental impact they will have, but I really enjoy seeing them when I'm harvesting heliconias. I suspect the only reason this one stood still for a photo op is that he was planning to try and sell me auto insurance!

(non-US residents: google "Geico gecko" if you don't get the reference)

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Great pic and great little beastie, thanks for showing it. Just love geckos, even if they do make firefoxes implode. Just out of interest - is that gecko out during the day? I've only ever come across nocturnal ones.

Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, Paul, they're actually called Gold Dust Day Geckos, so they're out during the day. I see the speckled Mourning Geckos during the day too, in fact there's usually one or two hanging out in the broms I bring up to the house for pollination. This one has a taste for nectar:

{{gwi:460453}}

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

I lurve geckos, and that one is too cute! We nave ONE that drops in to eat the daddy long leg spiders in summer. It makes a kissing noise. Its only the common house gecko though, and is almost see through. Great photo, Lisa. Please post more of the same!
    BA

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Now that is a pollinator I hadn't though of! I wonder what a brom flower would look like if it was specifically adapted for gecko pollination!

• vriesea
    13 years ago

I clicked onto the link from Tomas ,but nothing exploded, imploded or expired ,( just lucky ?) maybe cause i dont use FireFox ?

• bromadams
    13 years ago

My firefox browser didn't choke one bit. Here is the image shown in the page.

{{gwi:460455}}

• tomas
    13 years ago

Paul,

they are out during the day taking their sunbath on the walls, that's one of the reasons why I like them so much.

Tomas

• bambi_too
    13 years ago

Those are my favorites of all the Day Geckos. I have been shopping for them again. I began breeding Standings day gecko again for someone. The day geckos are also nectar feeders but they like insects too.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions