Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

'nother Neo noid

paul_t23
14 years ago

Hi all,

I bought this plant around a year ago at the NSW Brom Soc autumn show. It was labelled Neo. Laser and I thought "fine - sounds good", but some time later I tried to find it in the fcbs photo index and couldn't. Only name close that I could see is Neo. Laser Light, but it doesn't look anything like the picture for that. Can't find anything in the BSI Neo. cultivar registry either, and haven't found anyone selling it at any shows since.

It looks like a carolinae x concentrica hybrid of some sort, but does anyone have any idea if it has a cultivar name? Mature plant is 50 centimetres diameter. Leaves are thick, stiff and waxy, with moderate teeth.

August 2008 - still growing actively

{{gwi:460820}}

December 2008 - in the middle of flowering

{{gwi:460822}}

I have a bee in my bonnet about putting Hannibal Lector pollen on it to try to get something that looks just like this one, but with lots of bright red concentric lines and dots. Problem is, every single flower has set a nice fat white berry without any help from me, so it's probably a self-pollinator. Ah well, nothing like a challenge! I'm going to try anyway - ya never know!

If I could put a name to it, that would be great. Love to hear from you.

Cheers, Paul

Comments (5)

• aroideana
    14 years ago

mmmmm what about calling it Neo 'Blind Bambi'

get it ?

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi aroideana, that is just terrible - but I do like it!
    Cheers, Paul

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Paul, I have a plant that looks almost exactly like yours, some of the leaves have just some more white in it and I got it as a Neo carolinae x concentrica. The leaves with the lost of white did not like our cold wet Winter last year so the plant does not look too good at the moment otherwise I would have posted a picture. Very interesting that it is a self pollinator!

Japie

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Paul, you're probably right about its heritage, but beyond that, it's practically impossible to say. I say this because I've been working with variegates for the last couple of years now, and I have so many seedlings from so many different grexes that all look something like this that I can't tell them apart without looking at the tags!

I'd stick with the Laser name for now, and see if you can track down the source. Somebody must have had a reason for labelling it that, and just because it's not on FCBS doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Not everything gets registered or submitted to the photo index.

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Lisa - interesting to hear about all your grexes. This individual plant varied a lot in appearance over a period of just a few months depending on which leaves were most obvious and how much white they had, so I can only imagine how much overlap there could be between a bunch of similar grexes with variable progeny! The first pup that I took off this one (just yesterday) is almost completely white, with just a few contrasting green lines on each leaf. Quite spectacular - hopefully it will have enough chlorophyll distributed through the white areas to keep it healthy, as some of these concentrica crosses are said to have. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And great advice as always - much appreciated. I will do as you suggest with the naming.

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions