Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brom I.D. please

Posted by jaga (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 3:47

Hi all,
Here's a pic of a mother plant and pup belonging to a friend of ours that needs a ID, any ideas anyone??
Photobucket
Another pic of the pup
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brom I.D. please

Hi Jaga,
It looks like Nidularium Miranda to me.
Cheers Fran

o

Hi Jaga,
Gotta agree with Fran, it looks like Nid. Miranda to me also.

I got mine from a very good friend who named it after where she lives in Miranda NSW Aus.

She has lots of them and the majority grow out in the open to enhance the colour as she doesn't get much sun after noon.

Hope this helps a bit, all the best, Nev.

o

Hi J+A,

Another vote here for Nidularium 'Miranda'.

Thanks for that background info Nev. I had assumed it was named after a lady with the same name. Instead, it is named after a place near where I grew up - nice!

Cheers,
Kerry

o

I've never seen that Nid before. Is it in the US, or is it strictly down under?

o

Thanks to all the identifiers, also good to get some history + growing tips, our friend will be pleased and yes we managed to scrounge a pup. This is a very impressive looking plant and notice its a 'sport' off Nid 'Madonna'. Im assuming the variegation is stable.

o

Hi jaga,
About stability, the lady I got mine from said she worked on it for over eight years before she got one that she considered stable.

She suggested to me that occasionally it can still produce a pup that's not up to standard and that if this happens I should "toss" it.

It hasn't happened yet after eight pups though, so I think it's probably pretty stable.

All the best, Nev.

o

Thanks Nev for the extra info, we normally do as suggested above and compost the Novar's from our Variegates. Although there is some that look quite good, N Enchantment of ours has taken on a splattered red so im growing on to see how it turns out.

o

Miranda in flower.
Nidularium Miranda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here