Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromaholic

Alc heloisae

bromaholic
14 years ago

Hi Folks..just wanted to brag about (one) my latest eye-catchers. You know those plants that just keep catching your eye when you walk through your shade/bush house or garden.

This is one of my current favourites; with before and after shots.

BEFORE was in our spring last year; it was looking all silver with very very small red fingernails. Growing in full sun but not for that much of the day really.

{{gwi:460915}}

{{gwi:460916}}

And now the AFTERS; After summer and full sun for most of the day; and also right now we are in autumn (fall to some folks) with cooler nights and a lot of Alcs are showing outstanding colour I think.

{{gwi:460917}}

{{gwi:460918}}

or is he going to flower for me?

I love Alcantarea!

Comments (11)

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

That's a very nice looking plant! And I do like the 'before' as well as the 'after' look. Thanks to a very nice Faerie, I have some seeds that are on the point of germinating - so hopefully I will have plenty so I can grow some in the shade and some in the sun!!

Japie

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Wow I like both before and after.

• frangipani_56
    14 years ago

Very well grown Shane.
    Broms will never cease to amaze me as to how they change so much according to their growing conditions.Hence I have doubled up on a few.
    See you Thursday.Cant wait to see you and Kerry in full buying mode.Just hope 3 cars are enough to get them all home and into our gardens.
    Just kidding,see you soon,
    Fran

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Simply sensational Shane!! Beautifully grown - 'onya!

I love the before shots, but OMG! the after is superb, as is your photography.
    Mine is not colouring as much as yours, and it is growing in full sun for most of the day - with same temps as you. I have given mine some foliar fert now and then. Have you fed yours at all?

Japie - glad you are blessed with a Faerie Brom-mother. Good luck with your precious seedlings.

Andrew - how are your Alc. heloisae seedlings going?

NB. Due to doubt, I have always mumbled the pronunciation of this brom. However, we heard Dr Jason Grant refer to them as "ello-weesa", so I am practising that in an Alaskan accent.

Meanwhile, I'm busy preparing for The Three Amigos' bromeliad road trip with Shane and Fran. Only 3 sleeps to go!!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Kerry,
    I hope you'll be taking your camera along to record what you see on your road trip with Shane and Fran.

What about taking a picture of the three musketeers together so we can all put faces to names.

All the best, Nev.

• bromaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

NO self pics allowed, never, ever, please...

Kez; now you know the only thing I feed is myself and my foliage Vriseas.

With a major weather alert for rain, wind & flooding currently out for our area, I am concerned the 3 aechmeas, I mean amigos will hit the trail...

• aroideana
    14 years ago

Shane , is this a recent import or a renaming of one of the mystery plants so common around here ? Looks a lot like the Alc. edmoundi 'silver' from Catlin .

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Man I love opening this post and looking at the two states of this plant!

• bromaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey aroid....it is originally from Bruce D @ Greenstock Nursery (was Stockade) near Caboolture. So I have no doubts that it is the real mccoy, or should I say 'ello-weeza'

Yes me also sdandy...it just appeared like this in a matter of 4-6 weeks. Like the red intensified on the 'finger nails' during summer; but since 1st April or so (no joke) it has become so much more red...

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Shane, I've had a look at this one so many times now I really should say thanks for the pics, so - thanks for the pics! And what a great plant - in both colour schemes. Cheers, Paul

• bromaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Paul; but Bruce Dunstan did most of the growing of it; he does a tremendous job and sells quality plants.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions