Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Aechmea melanocrater

brom_adorer
13 years ago

I'm posting this for a friend and regular lurker. She sent me these pics and I will copy and paste the accompyaning email.

"I do not know if you can help with this but I wonder if you could get any help from the brom forum?I bought this plant from an importer and it was labelled MELANOCRATER. the only info came from a search to say it had links with CAUDATA. I have a feeling this may be one of Liza V's plants?

It is a stunning plant and I also wonder if it is the same one Michaels sell as a cross DISTICHANTHA X CAUDATA(MELANOCRATER (GROVES HYB MARGINATED--I found this on a search and got a list but no picture----Appreciate help as it is a stunning plant"

{{gwi:460941}}

{{gwi:460942}}

Thanks

BA

Comments (8)

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi B.A ,its a very nice Aechmea no matter what the name and i can't help you there ,what i don't understand is why your friend ( or anyone for that matter ) decides to be just a " Lurker " on the forum ,what joy is there in that pray ask your friend ? we wont bite anyone here ,and there is nothing like joining in with us all here ,get your friend to join up B.A , the more the merrier , Cheers ,Jack

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I don't know that name, and sadly it has nothing to do with me, but it sure looks like a caudata hybrid to me. The other parent could be Ae. fulgens, or something along those lines.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I'd say it definately has Ae distachantha in it.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Okay, given the spiny leaf margins, I can see caudata x distichantha. I can't find any record of such a cross, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I checked the registry, though, and it says Melanocrater is a cv. of caudata. Nothing about a hybrid, but it still looks hybridy to me.

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jack, my lurker friend had a chuckle at your comments! She enjoys reading the forum, but is tied up with a slow connection (due to availability in her area) and other duties via the internet. I am happy to post for her though. I know a couple of lurkers, and there are sure to be many more out there who don't feel the need to join or chat, probably because their needs are met by all the others that do comment and post. I quite often do searches and find my answers there, hence not too many questions.
    I am sure she has read the answers here and found something useful to follow on with.
    It is a lovely plant though.
    BA

• bob61
    13 years ago

It looks like the disticantha X caudata Albo-marginata hybrid I have by Grant Grove. It is on Michael's Bromeliads list. I saw them at Grant's place a while back also. best Bob

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bob, our lurker friend is happy that you were able to confirm it looks like that particular hybrid. I don't suppose you'd have a picture?
    BA

• bob61
    13 years ago

I don't have a picture with a bloom but as soon as it comes in I will post one. Best Bob

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions