Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Bromadorers mount

brom_adorer
13 years ago

Ok Nev, I s'pose I'd better come to the party and show you mine, since Xuan was so good to show us hers,

And Xuan, good score with that tree from the dump!

Heres my gnarly root.

{{gwi:460966}}

And here it is with addition of plants. I used the drill to make holes so I could use stoloniferous types, such as Neoregelia pauciflora, Fire Ball , sapiatibensis and ampullacae/punctate types,

then Vriesea vagans at the top, Aechmea Ensign to the right and Tillandsia 'Haleys Comet' near the top.

The Neo. compacta is still in its pot, and just being used to balance the picture and help to bring out the colours

I think the timber is red Mahogany not sure. I used vege oil on all but the places I wanted to tie the plants, just incase it would be detrimental to their health.

My thoughts are, that the plants will all step out, or cascade from the log, and not cover its texture and form.

{{gwi:460968}}

BA

Comments (9)

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

WOW! what a transformation you've made BA. The application of the vegetable oil has certainly given it a lift and makes a wonderful contrast for the plants you've mounted on it.

Very creative and thanks for sharing.

All the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    13 years ago

Looks great. Now the hard part...waiting for them to fill in. Lots of fun projects going on around the forum here.
    -andy

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks brom-mates. I've been having fun using broms to decorate various objects. I've made a brom bird, but the breathing variety keep nicking the spanish moss (despite having wired it on)
    {{gwi:460970}}
    His head piece came into bloom yesterday, so he's looking pretty pleased with himself! he he
    BA

• haxuan
    13 years ago

BA, that "root" of yours really beat my "tree"... hahaha. Looks like I have a lot to improve, learning from you.

Thanks for sharing. Oh, love your bird as well.

Xuan

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, no way Xuan! Thats the beauty of bits of wood and broms and crazy, mad brom growers. Everyone is different and so everything we decorate is always going to be a work of art! I think your tree is stunning, and not something I would be able to source over here.
    My rooty bit can be found anywhere in the bush/forest over here, as long as its not taken from National Parks, which are protected.
    This particular root was uncovered when a new road was being excavated and we snapped it up quickly, as they usually burn all the bits of timber. I also got a smaller peice, but I think I'll leave it bare (for now)
    Poor old Bird. I was thinking of wrapping him with hessian to soften the wire look, and maybe give try something else to grow ovwr his body. Any suggestions?
    BA

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi BA,

Great job with the tree root. That really is a good way to get a piece that is nice and gnarly and branchy. Now I'll have my eyes open for the same sort of thing. It never occurred to me before, so thanks for that! Also great to see Birdie again - espcially with that ionantha popping into flower. Just classic!

Cheers, Paul

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi BA,

Great job with the tree root. That really is a good way to get a piece that is nice and gnarly and branchy. Now I'll have my eyes open for the same sort of thing. It never occurred to me before, so thanks for that! Also great to see Birdie again - espcially with that ionantha popping into flower. Just classic!

Cheers, Paul

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Ditto, BA - your brom-enhanced root looks great! I like the darker tone from the oil too.
    That bird is hilarious, especially with the googly eyes! Don't know what to suggest to cover his molting problem, unless you have a few hundred T. ionantha to spare. I'm sure you'll come up with something creative.

K :)

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Paul (twice) and Kerry. Birds eyes came from an old macrame owl wall hanging. I had them tucked away in the third draw for years! I have alot of teeny-tiny T. butzi seedlings, so maybe in a few years, when they are about a cm tall, I can cover him sparsley with them! he he. I think he looks more like one of those Airedale dogs in the face. Maybe I'll change his body?
    We just had a storm come over, and after the rain, the root smells like a fish'n'chip shop! It wasn't used oil, but I guess it breaks down a little in water.
    Thanks again for all the praise *blush, blush*
    BA

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions