Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vriesea

Some new seedlings

vriesea
13 years ago

Thought i would give you all a bit of a look at whats in the pipeline for the future ,you will notice that except one cross, they all have Vr Milky Way as one parent , to apriciate that you really have to see them up close and they have a few years left to get to adult size , the seedlings of photo number 348 have Vr fenestralis on both sides ,yet look at the colour ,specially considering both parents are quite green , never under estimate the colour influence of that species ! if you hover the mouse pointer over photos you will get the parentage ok ?

{{gwi:461421}}

{{gwi:461422}}

{{gwi:461423}}

{{gwi:461424}}

{{gwi:461425}}

well there it is ,I trust that the breeding lines given are of some use to you budding hybridisers ,

Cheers

Jack

Comments (6)

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

Great work as always Jack.

Looks like some more Koning Klassics on the way!

Is not only great to learn about parentage from such psts but also inspiring that those tiny green seedlings I have may just turn into something special one day...

thanks for sharing
    Kristan

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Jack,

There's some great looking plants there both in colour and shape, no doubt more champ's of the future. Just one thing though, you said "the seedlings of photo number 348 have Vr fenestralis on both sides" and all I've got is 344-347 and 349. no 348, where has it gone?????

Always good to look at your pic's mate, keep 'em coming, we won't complain.

Thank's for the eye candy.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Nev ,348 was similar shot and is the same cross to 349 so i eliminated 348 ,and forgot to adjust the write up accordingly ,so its my mistake ,but the end result is the same ,
    Jack

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Jack,

It sure looks like a whole lot more beaut plants coming through there in all of the crosses. Very interesting to see the ranges of variation from the parent combinations, with some surprising results - well, at least to me as a beginner.

You've mentioned the "fenestralis effect" before and it has stuck in my brain, so I'm trying a couple as well with 'Emerald Meadows' and 'Uluru Sunset'. The one that really surprised me is the amount of pink coming through in 'Milky Way' x self. I'm hoping mine will flower soon so I can have a bit of a play!

Thanks for some more inspiration. Cheers, Paul

• vriesea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Paul
    just for the interest ,i crossed Vr fenestralis x Milky Way and did the reverse as well , there is no hint of pink in the seedlings wich surprised me ,as a matter if fact the Vr Milky Way x fenestralis has quite broad leaves ,not shiny ,and bluish /green and the Vr fenestralis x Milky Way looks more like Vr hieroglyphica x platynema variegata ,narrower but very shiny leaves with quite subtle scribbling , however as they have a fair way to grow i expect some colour to come through but mostly whitish centres ,however i do know that if these where crossed with themselves ,then i will get pink tones appearing ( it seems to always take second generation crosses to get pinks fron Fenestralis ) if you crossed Vr Emerald Meadows x Uluru Sunset, you will get nice colours and still some spotting as well , hope this helps ,any way you will visit us on Sunday so we will have a chat then ok ?
    Jack

• gartemua
    13 years ago

Good job me friend.

Sponsored
More Discussions