Rick

Comments (15)

• gartemua
    13 years ago

Very good collection.

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Hi Rick,
    some lovely broms there and well looked after. Do you not have much sunlight coming thru at your place? I noticed broms like tiger and the alcantareas look like they are shaded. Heloisae i hear goes more red in sun. Love your Silver Plum such a feature plant. Your brom tree is great ! What do you use to attached the broms with? I use cable tie's i think they are the best invention yet. You can use them for lots of things.
    Dooley

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Rick,

Nice looking plants. What's the name of the one in the third pic?

Your brom tree looks good, is it a bit of old hardwood? If so it will last for years and years.

Thanks for sharing,

All the best, Nev.

• rickta66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gartemua.

Dooley,
    I get too much sun in my place, I burnt my Tiger as soon as I got it si I have been slowly exposing it to more sun.

I also use cable ties, another good medium for attaching broms is "ribbing", it is a soft t-shirt like material from Spotlight - it is available in a range of colours to suit your mount. Galvenised staples work well also for nailing stolens on.

Nev,

Pics 2,3 & 4 are Ae. Little Harv. My tree is an old piece of gum that was struck by lightning, it is lasting well.

Cheers,

Rick

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Rick,

Looking good! Your 'Gee Whiz' has come through the summer a lot better than mine, which ended up with just a few too many leaf tips cooked when just level with the surface of the water in the cup - much more so than c. 'Tiger', which came through fairly well.

I think I'll have to find a spot for 'Gee Whiz' where it gets shaded from full sun just a little bit earlier, say around 11am. I'd be interested in what sort of light your one gets, since it has done so well.

Cheers, Paul

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Rick,
    If you want to harden your your broms to the sun winter is the time to do it. By the time summer comes again your plant should be hard enough. These are of course the ones we know can handle sun. Up north as soon as it gets 30 degrees and below i take my shadecloth down. Remember afternoon sun is more harsh than the morning so you can put them where they get sun till about 1-2pm but are guarded from the afternoon sun.
    dooley.

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

Hey Rick...lookin good mate!

I will always love Alc heloisae, whether it's in sun, shade, flowering or not. Wait until that flowers, man'o'man..mine is just finishing after starting last Sept. The final flower opened today.

Hey what is the small Alc (I think) at right in front of your Silver Plum?? Odorata, Edmundoi, or?

And also the one on the left in that pic? Landsendt Blue Grey or?

Just with the cooler weather commencing in the last week ro so for us; my Alcs are starting to change in colour; to that rich winter glow.

Shane

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

Really Nice Ric! I love the log. I did hear that when a tree is struck by lightning, it changes the structure of the wood and makes it impossible to cut. If so, yours should last a loooonggg time!
    I see alot of the same plants I have in my collection. It always surprises me that the same plants catch the eye of other collectors too! This web site doesn't help, as it introduces more plants to the beholders, and so to the wish list!
    My Gee Whizz also burned a little as I purchased it in summer and gave it a little too much sun, but the next generation will be better placed. My heloisae is in full sun, but I haven't noticed much difference to yours.
    How long have you had your Werauhia sanguinolenta? Does it cope ok with your cooler weather? What kind of temps do you get down to over winter? All in all very nice pics, so the new camera must be good! What sort did you get?
    BA

• rickta66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul,

My Gee Whiz is in filtered light, very little direct light but a reasonably bright area. I have burnt Gee Whiz before trying to overcook it.

Dooley,

That is good advice, I have a few I need to move out and try and harden up.

Shane,

The small Alc on the left is Landsendt Blue Grey, the one on the right is labelled as extensa but I think that name maybe incorrect.

I bought my heloisae after seeing that great photo of yours, any chance of putting a picture up of it in flower?

I think you bought yours a year or two before me, did you fertilise your alot or did it just flower naturally?

BA,

I had a big gum that got struck by lightning, I took most of it to the dump but was left with the larger bits - I later read that trees struck by lightning go sort of like petrified wood, so I probably would have kept more.

My heloisae was in full sun but with the shifting sun it is getting a bit less, I'm hoping those nice red tips will come with the cooler season.

I have only had the Werauhia sanguinolenta for about six months, it came from Stockade and was very reasonably priced. My temps get down to @4-6 degrees C but it has only started to get cold in the last week or so. The burns on the leaf was from too much sun not the cold. I've been told that Werauhia sanguinolenta typically only throws one pup so I may have to buy another off Stockade.

I picked up an entry level DSLR, a Nikon D3000 - I've just got to learn how to use it.

Cheers,

Rick

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

Thanks Rick, I was told W. sanguinolenta doesn't throw pups at all! I was hoping to obtain some pollen when and if mine flowers, as I thought growing from seed was the only way to propagate them. Mine might be of similar size to your, so be prepared to swap pollen if they flower together! (I'll send you mine if you send me yours) he he.
    I would love to get a new camera, but at the same time, my current digital allows me to take macro shots, and seems to be sufficient, so if it aint broke, why replace it? I'd rather spend my money on Broms! I SAID, I'D RATHER SPEND MY MONEY ON BROMS! he he. Its part of the adventure, finding the right spot for your plants eh? Thats the beauty of keeping them potted. Much easier to move if required.
    BA

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

G'day Rick....extensa hey, could be. Ok so heloisae in flower...first off last winter.

{{gwi:460917}}

Flowering...

{{gwi:461460}}

{{gwi:461461}}
    {{gwi:461463}}
    {{gwi:461465}}

• rickta66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BA,

I'd be happy to send some seed down if mine ever flowers, I tried growing them a while ago but they got squashed by a toad sitting on them - I will have better luck next time.

Shane,

They are great looking photos.

Thanks,

Rick

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

Shane,
    Your heloisae looks fantastic!! i can only hope mine end up looking that good. Can you tell me what sun it gets, it look like all day. Also what fertilizer regime do you give yours and how many years did it take to flower.
    Thanks
    Dooley.

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

Thanks Dooley.

I got the plant from a great grower (Stockade Nursery in Brisbane) in April 08 and it commenced flowering for me in Sep 09 I think it was. It was probably 60% its flowering size when I got it.

It was in FULL sun from 0800 to sunset all day, every day and right beside a cement drive radiating a lot of heat also.

I don't fertilize any of my collection, except the foliage vriesea.

Full credit for this plant is with Stockade really!

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

DOH! Not Stockade, it's Greenstock Nursery now...sorry Bruce!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions