Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndi_whye

Testing! Testing!

lyndi_whye
13 years ago

I am sure you guys can't wait after all the teasings. Shall I just post them on this thread? May be I should. Here you go...

Neo. Silvomontana Green - I was expecting a green pup, but this guy turned up at my doorstep in party colours!

{{gwi:460953}}

How can I not get Purple Cow after seeing randg's cow?

{{gwi:461501}}

This one has spots as good as Justin's Song but not sure if it will grow as big

{{gwi:461503}}

Neo. Crowning Glory ordered by my son. He finds it such a challenge to find cheap and nice plants.

{{gwi:461504}}

Another cheap and good

{{gwi:461505}}

and another

{{gwi:461506}}

Comments (11)

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Other plants ordered by my gardening friends.

Orthophytum navioides
    {{gwi:461507}}

Tillys
    {{gwi:461508}}

{{gwi:461509}}

The huge plant in the middle is xAnamea Raspberry Ice
    {{gwi:461510}}

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

Nice additions - must admit I like the cheapies.
    I'm sure they'll all look great in the collection and good work on passing on the brom habit to yr son!

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Neo. Julia
    {{gwi:461511}}

Nidularium innocentii lineatum
    {{gwi:461512}}

Aechmea freckles
    {{gwi:461513}}

xNeophytum 'Galactic Warrior'
    {{gwi:461514}}

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

Wow! When you go brom shopping you really splash out don't you? What a great assortment. I wish I could find cheap Neo's like those.

Thank's for sharing.

All the best, Nev.

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Lyndi, you always come up with something that I want!!

I like your Neo silvomontana geen. Do you have any other information about the plant apart from its name? With my limited knowledge of those lot, it reminds me very much of N pernambucana.

And Neo Julia? Is that a carolinae x carcharodon hybrid? How does it differ from Yang?

Japie

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

This is better, very very nice haul Lyndi. Michael's again hey; I see the tell-tale yellow tags, oh how thrilled I was to see those last year after my online dealings with Michael, and AQIS gassing!

I have a N silvomontana (got it right this time!) but not from Michaels, and it is same as yours.

I also see a N marmorata variegata hidden in your pile. I do love this plant. When it matures, the white variegation stands out beautifully. Although I have been told by an Aussie 'expert' breeder and importer that it can throw quite a lot of alo-marginata pups. Mine has not puped yet.

And as for navioides...I will only dream about that.

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nev, they are only comparatively cheap. Haha!

Japie, I don't know much about that silvomontana, may have to ask the supplier. According to the link below, Neo. Julia is a hybrid of carolinae(Black) x carcharodon.

http://fcbs.org/images/bscf04/neo_Julia1_bscf04.jpg

Shane,I love that N marmorata variegata as well. Just wondering how bromeliads take to gassing? Did it burn the leaves?

I need some help here, I was told to grow Orthophytum navioides in perlite, anyone has grown it in other medium?
    Thanks!

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

Hey Lyndi...of the broms I imported last year; gassing (i believe) killed a Quesnelia & Billbergia. Neoregelia, Aechmea & xAndrolaechmea were all fine. The Neos were impacted least of all. But all had some burn marks to the leaves.

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Hi Lyndi, we Aussies dream of importing plants that just rebound with some water and keep on growing! Not fair! Some of us are 'gluttons for punishment' though so we keep on trying. Shane was lucky - in the last few years my usual survival rate from all imports world wide has been about 50%. I even lost 80% of a batch of T. tectorum last year after gassing so imagine how species Guzmanias go!

Cheers, Pedro

• lyndi_whye
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pedro,

50% -80% loss will cause the heart to bleed.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Lyndi, you must have been reading my thoughts. I know I would have been devastated if that happened to me.

Pedro, is there any talk of a new less damaging treatment for imported plants in the future? I read somewhere that Canada has a different way of treating imported plants, but it didn't say how successful it was, or how much damage it caused the plants.

I suppose we just have to live in hope that the future will bring a better solution.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions