Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbear1

Mini Neo ID

gardenbear1
12 years ago

I'm hoping that maybe some one can give me a ID on these two Neo,s or at least thats what I was told they are. they were a gift and would really like to give them a name.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Bear

{{gwi:461878}}
{{gwi:461879}}

Comments (6)

• stan45
    12 years ago

Hello,

Definetly N. pauciflora on right.
    Maybe N. punctatissima on left, but I'm not sure, there is plenty of mini Neos like that.

Cheers

Stan

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stan, Thanks for the help at least I can tag one of them,I hope some one will come along and give me the name for the other on, is there a site where I could look for mini broms?
    Thanks again Bear

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Punctatissima on the left AKA punctate seems to be soem confusion on which name is correct

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi Bear,

I'll go for pauciflora on the right and as HDD says there seems to be a lot of confusion between punctatissima and punctate so take your pick of either for the name of the left one.

But to complicate the equation even further, don't eliminate the possibility of it also being a hybrid using either as a parent or even from something different altogether.

I have one called "Tiger Cub" (ampullacea X tigrina) which looks more like your plant (than it does of the one in the pic of the registered plant on the FCBS). Don't forget that from every seed pod there are many seeds and many differences.

All the best, Nev.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nev, Thanks for the info,I'm going to put 2 tags on the one on the left for now with both names with a question mark and take it from there.
    Thanks again
    Bear

• bromeliaddict
    12 years ago

I was involved with Uncle Derek when this was being sorted out a few years ago. The name that is being recognized is Neoregelia 'Punctate'. There seems to be no definitive collection data on the plant, so it's hard to say whether it is a species or cultivar. It's certainly in the "ampullacea" group. The problem with the name punctatissima is that it has been described in the monograph by Smith & Downs, but no one seems to possess that particular plant. If it exists, it looks nothing like the plant that many people do have in their collection with the label "punctatissima". The picture that started all the confusion was posted in the Journal of the Bromeliad Society in 1974! For more insight, go to the fcbs.org site and click on the "Uncle Derek Says" link.
    Hope this helps.

Paul

Sponsored
More Discussions