Dyckia remotiflora

Dyckia remotiflora var. angustior

Dyckia remotiflora var. montevidensis

Thanks for any help

Comment (1)

• Constantino Gastaldi
    13 years ago

Hi,maybe I can help or make you dizzy.
    This plant is a confusion in every sense. Dyckia remotifolia is another name to the very same plant. I think the problem is that this plant has a very wide range. It grows in the Southern part of Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina (Maybe in the Everest too.). I think no other Dyckia is so widespread in nature as this one.
    Before realizing this, people begun setting names and describing as varieties and as they begun a appear everywhere they gave up describing the enormous array of varieties. I guess there must exist lots of varieties, I myself have found remotifloia or remotiflora in Southeast of Santa Catarina, almost all over Rio Grande do Sul and Uruguay. Some are so graceless
    and drab looking even those maddly in love to Dyckias have difficulty in caring for them. Some are so close looking to a plain grass they are only visible or noticeable whem in bloom and their petals colors vary from deep red to light orange.There are many more looks or varieties than these thre electec by the botanists. I keep at least six different Dyckia remotiflora, all collected in wilderness.
    Search at Dyckiabrazil Blog. If the weather allow I will take shoots of them tomorrow and put them in the blog. But identifying these plants up to varieties would be a challenge I would never accept muyself. If you manage to identify as remotifolia you are already a master in Dyckia identification. Dyckias are besides alluring illuding as the may present numerous regional varieties as the remotifolia and they also may vary their looks and shapes accordingly to the cultivation and light( duration and , intensity of it). Perfectly safe and wise to say about these remotiflora or remotifolia is beautiful or not and this is ever a personal cause. In nature they thrive on sand and rarely on rocks. All reproduce by runners, a sand dweller capability rare in rock living species.
    Uruguay is a flat territory and there is not a mountain there nor a hill to be found. It is a Dyckia remotiflora paradise as it love sandy terrains. There they are found where the cattle did not ate them to extintion along the centuries of cattle raising.Sheep contrary to cows remove the plants up rooting them and not just cutting them. Many sand dweller Dyckias has been lost forever in these vast pasture areas. Some we will never know of them.
    We have very few information about any Dyckia and doubts as yours are absolutely common.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions