Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkim_gw

Billbergia project - pls help with IDs

catkim
14 years ago

Working on a Billbergia educational display board, I went through my photos and culled some decent Billbergia photos. Problem: I don't have IDs for every photo. Can you help?

1) Well, I *think* this is a Billbergia. Hoping the distinctive coloring will make it easy to ID.

{{gwi:462143}}

2) I'm guessing the plant on the right is B. 'Domingos Martins' -- agree? Disagree? But who is that on the left?

{{gwi:462144}}

3) Ideas?

{{gwi:462145}}

4) Is this one distinctive enough for a solid guess? It's in a fairly shady location...

{{gwi:462146}}

5) I don't know why I end up with so many unlabeled plants. : ) Any guesses?

{{gwi:462147}}

Comments (11)

• avane_gw
    14 years ago

Catkim, I'm no expert on Billbergia's, but #1 looks an awful lot like Aech phanerophlebia rubra.

Japie

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Kim, I'm with Japie on #1. Aechmea, not Bill.

#2 looks like Baton Rouge on the left and Domingos Martins on the right. #3 is probably Hallelujah. Not sure about #4, but #5 appears to be B. amoena Rubra.

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wouldn't you know I'd mistake an Aechmea for a Bill! :b I will pull that pic out of the bunch!

Very grateful for the help, Japie and Lisa! Agree with your suggested names, Lisa, and I have confidence in your knowledge. Anyone else, feel free to pitch in.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi catkim,

Number 2 on the left looks very much like a plant I have called Billbergia Kip when grown in strong light.

Al the best, Nev.

• User
    14 years ago

#4 looks like amoena var. viridis.

• sdandy
    14 years ago

#4 kinda looks 'Pink Champagne'-ish to me. Well, at least what I have that is labeled Pink Champagne.
    -andy

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I realize there are many reddish, spotted Billbergia hybrids, and identification may be impossible. Amoena var. viridis has banding on the lower reverse of the leaves, and Pink Champagned seems to have more recurved leaves than my plant.... but they're both *close*! ; ) Anyone think it could be 'Pink Blush'? It's got to be something common that's been around a long time, and likely with amoena in the parentage. Any other guesses?

Nev, I find hardly any reference to Bill. Kip on the web, and the few notes I find have no photos, and all are in Queensland. Maybe Kip is one they never let out of Australia? Chances are my bills are very common types easily found in these parts, but thanks for trying. : )

I found a photo on the BirdRock site of B. amoena var. amoena that ooks to me like a dead ringer for #5. What do you think, Lisa?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

If we're looking at the same picture, Kim, I think that is B. Ed Macwilliams, which is a form of amoena v. amoena. It is very similar in appearance to amoena rubra, however. Both are stoloniferous and have similar-looking blooms. The difference is that grown side-by-side under the same conditions, Ed M will have more intensely saturated color and a more open rosette with long arching leaves. It's also a bit touchier. The leaves seem to like to curl and die back, and it has a tendency to abort its flowers before they mature, I'm not sure why.

The upright form and slightly mottled coloration of your #5 is more typical of amoena rubra. I'm not sure if this is a valid variety or cv. name, as it doesn't seem to be represented in the FCBS photo index, but it is widely recognized. We've had several discussions about this here, but I got mine from Don Beadle under that name, and if it's good enough for Don, it's good enough for me! ;-)

See link below for another thread showing several other GWers' specimens under a variety of conditions.

I think you are right about #4 having a strong amoena connection too. I don't have amoena v. viridis, so I can't say for sure whether Gonzer is right or wrong, but I see what you mean about the lack of silver banding as compared to the index photo. I do know Pink Champagne, however, and that definitely ain't it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill. amoena update

• User
    14 years ago

Kim, here are two viridis, the first grown in high light/full sun and the other East facing. The last is one of my Champagnes grown in FS. Lisa's correct...no way.

{{gwi:462148}}

{{gwi:462149}}

{{gwi:462150}}

• catkim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks Lisa and Gonzer! Your rubra vs amoena explanation works for me, and Gonzer, that first photo is a twin of my #4 Bill with that old vinegar color and no banding. : ) It's good to be able to get help from the bromeliad plant masters here.

The several other Billbergia pics I'll be using are thankfully of labeled plants, no more mysteries. Some of these things are darn hard to photograph, too, vases jutting out in strange directions like antlers. It must be time to do some dividing in the garden... Thanks again.

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Excellent photos for educational purposes. Mark me educated! So Pink Champagne can take a lot of sun to get those nicely curled leaves? I love all that I learn from everyone on this forum. I'll just have to keep my ID guesses to myself unless I KNOW the plant (and then really hope I'm not still wrong--ha ha). Those viridis are great looking plants. Certainly can't overlook species and only focus on hybrids!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions