Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdandy

San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale

sdandy
13 years ago

Hey guys, for the SoCal people:

Today and tomorrow (May 22-23) the Bromeliad Study Group of Balboa Park will be having a show and sale from 10am-4pm. Room 101 in Casa del Prado (next to the Natural History Museum).

June 12-13 the San Diego Bromeliad Society will be having a show and sale in the same room...I'll refresh with more details in a week or two...

-andy

Comments (25)

• User
    13 years ago

Keep us posted for the June gig Andy. Thanks.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Andy,

Don't forget to take lots of pic's for people like me who can't be there.

All the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, sorry....almost forgot to update everyone and let them know the SD Bromeliad Society Show and Sale is this weekend. 10am-4pm (yes, we will be opening the doors on time this year). Usual room in Casa del Prado in Balboa Park. This show I will remember to take pictures, I swear!
    -andy

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Andy,

Good to hear you haven't forgotten our request for pic's, pic's, pic's. I'll look forward to it.

All the best, Nev.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, better late than never, right? Here are a couple that I got a chance to take some pictures of...

Best in Show, Tillandsia edithiea:
    1 {{gwi:462650}}

{{gwi:462652}}

{{gwi:462655}}

{{gwi:462656}}

{{gwi:462657}}

{{gwi:462659}}

{{gwi:462661}}

{{gwi:462663}}

{{gwi:462665}}

{{gwi:462667}}

{{gwi:462669}}

{{gwi:462671}}

{{gwi:462673}}

{{gwi:462675}}

{{gwi:462677}}

• chrisn82
    13 years ago

Looks like a good s how! Lots of variety not seen here.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Wow, I've never seen a specimen of T. edithae that size. Is that a variegated Vr. platynema in #20, and what is the variegate immediately below it? Need names!

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, there were definitely some interesting plants there. Even blooming pitcairnias. I forgot to take pictures of those though.

Yes, that is a Vr. platynema and I think the one in the picture below it must be Ae. distichantha x caudata.

San Diego is just great to grow the gray-leaved tills, but everyone was just amazed that he was able to grow that plant to such a large size without it crumbling apart. Unfortunately it was a week or two early for all of the blooms to be at their peak, but still an unbelievable plant.

I'll work on getting some of the images tagged in PB...

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Ae. distichantha x caudata? That's interesting. If you've got the parentage in the right order, that would confirm my theory that the variegated form of Ae. caudata can transmit its variegation as a pollen parent. I've seen it in other combinations, including some seedlings I grew myself, but it's the only brom I know of that can do that. Neos don't work that way, so I have no explanation for it.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is the way it was listed. I can double check with the grower and see, but he is usually pretty good about keeping things accurately labeled.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Andy,

Thanks for keeping your promise to post pic's of the show for us. Great Stuff!!!!!

I don't grow Tillandsias myself but I must say that pic's 1-5 certainly started me drooling and may finally convert me to a Til. grower. It certainly looks like a good show with nice clean well presented plants, congratulations to all the exhibitors.

Thanks for sharing with us.

All the best, Nev.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Andy, was getting worried that maybe you forgot.
    Gotta agree that the T. edithae is a monster.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Yes great shots ,have to admit that the Till edithea is superb ,and love the variegated Vr platynema variagata , wow . Jack

• bomg
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures Andy. I now pity my T. edithiae.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, finally labeled the pictures in photobucket. Yeah, I've been having a tough time at work, so I have just had enough 'fiddle time' and energy to post the pictures. I wouldn't be able to live down not posting pictures from two shows. Unfortunately I ended up chairing both shows (and both unexpectedly) without any experience. Talk about stress and chaos (on top of the work stuff)! But looking forward to relaxing and playing at the WBC...which can't come soon enough.

• bob61
    13 years ago

Great pictures Andy. You have some really good growers there. The Tillandsias are really nice. As a mater a fact all the plants look to be blue ribbon.
    Got any more? Bob

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, everything looked great. Unfortunately those are almost all of the pictures I took. I was a tad bit busy and flustered by the whole experience. There were a ton of Tillandsias that I didn't get pictures of. I personally had by far the most red ribbons. I think I had more than twice as many red ribbons as any one else. But still proud to get 4th in the sweepstakes in my first show!
    -andy

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Congratulations Andy, and thanks for the great photos.

Needless to say, that Jungle Jade got me salivating - what a beauty! We don't often see such strongly variegated V. platynema as that one - wow!
    I also love that Quesnelia edmundoi var. rubrobracteata. It is one of my top 20 favourite broms. Mine thrive growing epiphytically and glow dark red in the sun.

All the plants are beautifully grown. You had some stiff competition Andy - but red is good! Sounds like you're their man for future shows, having survived twin chairs.

Bring on the WBC!

K :)

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, did a little more sleuthing...the Vr. platynema was bought from Tropiflora probably from Skotak. And the Ae. distichantha x caudata is what it was labeled when purchased through other credible sources.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Good sleuthing, Andy. I'll take one of each!

• localoca
    13 years ago

Nice! I couldn't make it. What's WBC?

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

WBC = World Bromeliad Conference, New Orleans July 26 - August 1st.

• sdandy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, the Jungle Jade pic was just for you Kez. That one is a good bit larger than mine.

That is a little funny, Vrieseas are far off my radar enough (as it is tough to grow them and have them look great here) that I almost didn't even notice that platynema. But it was beautiful enough to catch my camera's attention! Talking to the owner of it, it was/is out of my budget as well so it is probably a good thing to steer away from.

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

• anygreen
    9 years ago

Could somebody ID #10 and #11 please? I'm just learning about broms. Thanks!