{{gwi:463426}}

summer growing area

another area

Neo. pendula albomarginata My latest addition

Aech.chantinii black Skotak plant

growing area

Neo Kahala Dawn albomarginated

Neo. Painted Delight

Don't know what this is can any one tell me?

T. capitata Rubra

T. Silver Queen

Neo. Big Mac Special

As you can see I spend a lot of time in my back yard. Hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Sorry about the picture size but my son says bigger is always better. Best Bob

Comments (36)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Hey, nice pics, Bob! I like the large size, and they look even bigger on my new monitor.

Where the heck did you get that "olens variegata"? I've never seen that, and I'll bet it's actually a hybrid. It sure looks a lot like some of the things I've been working on lately.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Bob

Nice plants and good photos , love the black Chantiniis from Skotak ,the Neo you are asking about looks a fair bit like Neo ' Wango Tango ' thats grown a bit to lanky / strappy , not 100 % sure though ,am sure Lisa will be able to tell you , thanks for sharing ,
    Jack

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

You sure have a great collection there Bob ! Love the Black Chantinii's and that olens variegata too...it would be a good tough neo. to play around with, regardless if it's a hybrid or not? Thanks for sharing !

PS: I hear 'Kahala Dawn' Albomarginated (or KD Reverse as it's commonly known) has a new name in the wind....aptly Neo. 'Kahala Sunset'

• gonzer_gw
    13 years ago

Wow, very impressive Bob. What kind of feeding schedule are you doing with the tills? Your large hetero looks like the caulescent form of tectorum instead, the leaves are spaced way too far apart. Your small one is a form I haven't seen. There's a must-have book by Leiselotte Hrmadnik titled " The Tectorum Complex" (small, maybe $25) that is fantastic with tons of photos. Andrew Flowers in NZ has 'em or ask Andreas Bokker of the German Society.
    Great looking Neo's you've got.

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Bob all your plants look very nice and healthy. I like that Red Mystery very much. Your olens variegata looks very much like my Chili Verde or Mosquito - I cannot tell the difference between the two.

Your unknown Neo reminds me very much of Neo Ardie. Mine has not flowered yet but I sure hope it will have such a brilliant red cup when it does. What sets Ardie apart from similar looking plants, are that wide variegation down the center of the leaves. I tried to add a link to a picture of it but GW won't allow it (some spam poblems from that site). Google the name and you can see it.

Japie

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Bob,

I've got to agree with Lisa, the large size pic's do look great and the clarity is great too.

I like the smithii, olens variegata, and the, and the, and the. Wow! what a great mixed collection.

I really like the effect with your use of the vertical space with the stepping stone pathways in between, a really great effect and very pleasing on the eyes.

You've made an otherwise very overcast and uninteresting day here, much brighter fo me.

Great pic's and thanks for sharing

All the best, Nev.

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Hi Bob

I like the 1000-1500 pixel image size for the internet too. Some people on dial-up might find them slow to load, but worth it! The Canon PowerShot SD790 IS takes good images (with the help of the user!)

As Lisa says, the olens will probably be a carolinae/olens hybrid. It is similar to a few I got from Chester in the late 80's/early 90's, like Chile Verde, etc, as Japi says.

The very white compacta-looking plant is probably Ultima.

I sure like Tillandsia collection. That tectorum book is still readily available, unlike Lotte's red-flowering Brazilian species book. If anyone has a spare of it please let me know. Both are essential for keen Tillandsia growers! I'll ask Andreas if the DBG has any left. They are in German and English, thanks to Uncle Derek. Do the tectorum types bloom in your climate? Gonzer, the large heteromorpha type is similar to one I also have ex Pam K from memory. I haven't bloomed it for years to check against Lotte's descriptions. There are intergrades in this group too.

How good are those capitatas!

Neat Neos and great chantiniis too. I haven't seen the yellow form in Australia alive yet. I lost it to the gas. There's a brom Heaven somewhere with thousands of my plants.

Cheers, Pedro

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I think the BSI has Ehlers Red Flowered Brazilian book for sale. Is that the same book you are referring to? Are there really only 17 red flowered Brazilian Tillandsias?

My favorite picture is the Big Mac Special but they all are quite nice.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I was thinking of Ultima too, Pedro, but somehow the leaf tips just look too pointy. I think Japie may be onto something. I was not familiar with Ardie, but the search results look right on the money (see link). They're very similar, though.

Hmm... that "olens" does look a lot like Mosquito, doesn't it? I like the look of N. Trey too. Small plant, big spots, both good things in my book!

Here is a link that might be useful: N. Ardie

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! What more can I say! More please!
    BA

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Sorry, Renate's book! Her last one on the 'Little Green Mexicans' as Derek refers to the T. atroviridipetala, etc group is also a must.

I'll have a look at my N. Ultimas tomorrow, Lisa, but it's a good match for the unknown N. Ardie. It's not in any of my files so what's it's history? N. Red Mystery?, Trey? and Big Mac Special could be interesting to work with. It will be good when the cultivar registry is online again as we're a year behind. The olens one sure could be N. mosquito, dead ringer really!

Cheers, Pedro

• sunshine_qld
    13 years ago

Beautiful collection. I love Big Mac Special and Black Skotak. The large pictures are great.

• sunshine_qld
    13 years ago

Beautiful collection. I love Big Mac Special and Black Skotak. The large pictures are great.

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Bob,

I thought the Black chantinii was my favorite as I scrolled through but you made it hard to chose a winner with all the nice looking broms that followed.

Your Big Mac Special photo should be on FCBS, your plant looks a lot nicer.

Thanks,

Rick

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
    Lisa the olens came from Chester. He told me at the time it was 1 part carolinae and many parts olens. He was using them along with what came to be known as heat wave and cruenta Jaline to landscape around his house. Quite a site.

Jack I have Wango Tango thats not it. I believe Japie got it. Ardie is the one. I checked out Lisa's link and thats it.

graykiwi I like that name Kahala Sunset

gonzer I grow a lot of specie Guzmanias and have to feed them regularly. I feed them 20 10 20 no urea, epsom salts and some fish emulsion and enough vinegar to bring the ph down to 6 or a little above. The till's get the same thing at least every two weeks. The larger heteromorphia came from Warner krauspe bromeliads years ago. I'v still got a couple of his old lists. lots of net things. He had many unnamed things also. Thanks for the info on the book.I will get one.

Japie Ardie it is. Now if I could just landscape like you have that would be the icing on the cake.

Nev I like it all and boy does that get me into trouble. Winter is always around the corner and it all has to go in. On top of that I like to hybridize and that gets me in even more trouble.

Pedro I'v always had canon cameras,they work well for me. Tectorums just dont bloom here for me. In the 30 plus years I'v been growing these plants I have only had one to bloom for me.

Lisa thanks for the comment on Trey that's one of my hybrids I named after my son.

Thanks again to everyone Bob

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

"It will be good when the cultivar registry is online again as we're a year behind." Yes, what is happening on that front? Nick? Any updates?

In the meantime, I was privy to the decision to rename the albomarginated form of Kahala Dawn. Peter Waters has proposed the name Kahala Sunset and it has now been registered as such. For the record, I would have left it as is, particularly since the original name makes sense from a local geographical point of view, whereas the new one doesn't. Of course I get the "reverse" thing, but I was also concerned about anyone other than the breeder naming it. A bit of sleuthing by the registrar, however, turned up the fact that the marginated form actually arose as a sport of the original in David Shiigi's collection. David has given his okay to the name change, so that part is all kosher. David also relayed the information that the original KD was in fact bred by Larry Kamiya circa 1981, and not Bob Okazaki (although he allowed Bob to take credit for it). This will also be amended in the registry.

• gonzer_gw
    13 years ago

Bob, here's the hetero next to the caulescent tectorum.

{{gwi:463461}}

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see what you mean but it isn't either one. Those are two really nice plants. Is the tectorum the one tillandsia international calls the stem type? I just got some the other day and they kind of favor. they were not nearly as big as the ones you have. Do your tectorum's bloom for you?

• bryan69
    13 years ago

Hey Bob really beautiful plants. Don't you grow a lot of Dyckias? I would love to see some pics of them.

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

WOw wow wow! I don't blame you for spending a lot of time in your yard Bob. I'm sure we would all look to spend a lot of time in your yard! Beautiful plants!!

thanks for sharing Bob

Kristan

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Yes, a beautiful and very impressive collection, Bob. Thanks for the visual treat. All your plants look so healthy and colourful, and well laid out.
    Having not seen one before, I really like that yellow-bracted chantinii. I also love your Neo. Trey.

Questions - Where and how do you keep your broms during the cooler months? How long must it take to move them in, and then out again? Do they lose much colour when protected indoors? How long do they get to live outdoors each year? They look so happy and settled where they are now.

K :)

• frangipani_56
    13 years ago

Loved looking at your photos.Your colors are exceptional and I even liked all your tillandsias.Makes me want to grow more of them.

• gonzer_gw
    13 years ago

Bob, I used to go to Warner's house years ago and pick up many Vrieaeas for a song. With all the birds he kept on his property the small was something else! One day he introduced me to his next-door neighbor, another brom fancier. So, I said "Hello" for the first time to John Arden. Crazy huh?

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Gonzer what a lucky guy. You've been in the grove a while. To have close access to those guys would be nearly fatal for me.

Kerry I have two green houses. The plants spend about six months in and six months out. Maintaining color is always a challenge in the winter. It comes down to who gets the high road and who gets the low road. The house with the Guzmanias and Tillandsias gets a lot of fertilizer all winter and if a Neo. is unlucky enough be in that house well good buy color for the most part. The other house has the Bills. Neos. and the aechmeas. No fertilizer in there except the aechmeas will get a top dressing of slow release ever so often.
    Hope that helped Bob

• gartemua
    13 years ago

Very good collection.

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Thanks Bob. I like your "high road and low road" explanation. As for most brom growers in sub-tropical and tropical climes, my bromeliads generally stay where they are all year - mine either as permanent fixtures in living trees, or landscaped in the garden, or grown in a shade house. I do grow more tropical broms in a small green house.

I just have to risk the occasional frost, which usually stays out of the micro-climate within the garden. 'Tis a curious notion to have to pack them away for the winter - or in your case, half of each year. I can only admire folk such as you who persevere with the labour-intensive juggling of their precious ones, back and forth, to keep them alive and well - AND so beautifully coloured.

I must say, with your excellent, established collection as shown in the above photos, I would never had guessed that yours was not a permanent set-up. Your two green houses must be substantial as well.

Congratulations!

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kerry Just to show you how things can change. here are a couple of pics.

{{gwi:463464}}

Looking toward the back yard August of last year.

{{gwi:463467}}

About the same shot February of this year. The snow was beginning to melt.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Bob,

Let me say first of all, I saw the snow once; didn't like it, and never went back.

Like Kerry I can only admire the perseverence of you and people like you who have to wrestle with freezing, snowy winters and move plants in and out every year.

I'll never complain about a bit of strong wind or abnormally hot weather again after seeing what you folk have to manage every year. I take my hat off to you all for your determination and resilience.

Great pic's, I enjoyed them thoroughly and look forward to maybe some more of your setup in the future. Thanks again for sharing them with us.

All the best, Nev.

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Well I never! What a stark contrast!

Brrrr - the c.c.c..cold exudes from my computer monitor just looking at that second photo.

Thank you Bob. Amazing!

• neomea
    13 years ago

Hi all

Bob! Nice pics. Must say that that snow picture is not what I would want to see in my garden. Does the oldmans beard survive that sort of weather? I am sure I can see some on the right of the pic.

Cheers

Dennis

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually winter is not so bad. It gives you a break from the non stop work in the summer. and when everything is moved in you can make changes to the growing areas. Also its fun watching the Grandkids playing in the snow. also catch up on reading and making a list of plants to get next year.
    The spanish moss comes through the winter just fine. Even the ones from Mexico and Brazil come through without a scratch. the low we had during the snow was 13 f. Stayed below freezing for four days.
    Best Bob

• neomea
    13 years ago

Hi Bob

Funny how things work: Here in summer its more relax, stay out of the heat and humidity and winter is when I get busy planting, watering and removing pups etc.

I had no idea that the spanish moss could survive 13f (did a quick conversion and thats -10.5c). Brrrr thats nippy!

Thanks again for the pics!

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

Hi Bob,

You have a nice set up. The way you placed them looks so natural.

Neo Trey is a wonderful little Neo. Good job.

Neo "Red Mistery" looks a lot like Domino, does not it?

Is this also a chantinii behind the chantinii Black Skotak?

May I ask where did you get your Painted Delight? I contacted Michael before I placed my order and he said his does not color up so nicely but yours seems OK. I just love this Neo but decided not order it based on MichaelÂs comment.

What is that pinkish Neo on Picture #17? I am talking about the one in the middle of the picture, the last one on the left side of the isle. Is it Purple Star?

Most people around here say use low N and high K with TillÂs. You use high N but the result is just equally great. (I do not grow them but have heard so.)

Thanks for the great show.

P.S. Keep the large picture size. It works great.

• bob61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Noid guest
    Thanks for the comment on Neo. Trey. It came out of the same grex as Kelcy Lee which I named after my daughter.
    The Red Mystery is not Domino. Domino has some off color red and Red Mystery is very red.
    The plant behind the skotak chantinii is a hybrid I did of Aechmea cucullata pink X chantinii black DeLeon.
    The Painted Delight came from a friend in Texas.
    The pink Neo. is a plant we call Pink Panther it's a Groves Hybrid.
    The fertilizer I use is great stuff but it is used at a very low proportion

• noid.guest
    13 years ago

Bob, you not only have nice plants but also have done a good job hybridizing. Also, your comments speak from experience, please keep sharing them with us. Thanks, Sheila

• bromeliaddict
    13 years ago

Bob,
    Great collection, and everything is wonderfully displayed! I love your use of vertical space, too.
    ...Need to add 'Shelldance' and 'Big Mac Special' to want list!
    What part of Louisiana do you live in? Will you be at the WBC next month?

Paul

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions