Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need care tips for new Pink Quill Bromeliad

Posted by bj99 (My Page) on
Sat, May 2, 09 at 17:34

I just purchased my first bromeliad and I have several questions about it. I have read that it is an air plant but mine came in a 4" pot that has potting soil. Should I keep it in this pot with this soil? I live in the high desert and it is very dry. What is the best way to water this plant? Should I actually water the soil or would misting be better? Can I mist it with miracle grow? Any other advise would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need care tips for new Pink Quill Bromeliad

Hi bj99, bromeliads are often referred to as air plants, though this is a common term and does not mean much with out seeing a picture of your plant or knowing the name of your plant? (Post an image if you can?)

If your plant came in soil, I would generally assume it likes soil mixes (possibly open potting mix?) and if so would almost certainly like a good drench (both plant and soil) with water and possibly Miracle grow, though again where you are growing it will determine how much water it will take (ie indoors is difficult in most houses to grow plants due to a lack of light) and the night time temperatures, ie if frosts still occur at night and it is a tropical plant? then growing out doors may not be ok?

Am sure if you take an image of your plant and also describe the growing location as well as the weather in your area ie cold nights hot days or cool days under 59oF (ie 15oC) then am sure many of the forum members will give you appropriate advice, on care and growing your plant,
Bromeliads are generally easy to grow in warm climates though will depend on what plant you have. cheers allan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here