Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brought home a new Brom today...

Posted by tigerdawn 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 17:56

I saw these when I visited the botanical gardens recetly and thought they were awesome. Today I found one for $5! It looks like it has recently bloomed and is maybe reproducing. What do I have and what is the best way to care for it? Thanks!

Bromeliad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brought home a new Brom today...

Hi Tigerdawn ,welcome , what you have there is a Vr,splendens variety " Mortafontanensis" this is commonly grown in the nursery trade ,yes your plant is making 2 pups ,let them get to quite a big size before trying to remove them ,considering your plant has been gassed to make it flower before it was old enough ( thats why its not as big as it could be and does not have enough leaves) I would let the pups get to at least half adult size and then just split the plant in 2 and pot each one up ,its allmost a waste of time to try to get more pups from it,and its not the easiest of plants to take pups of if they are smallish as they are right along side of the old flower spike , the spike is orange red when in full bloom ,your plant is the most commonly grown form (in the nursery trade ) of this lovely species and when tissue cultured a percentage of variegated types occur ,it likes moist potting mix ,humidity ,good ( not strong ) light, and fertiliser , it is prone to scale pests and these will lodge themselves at the leaf tip on the underside of the leaf , Splendens in all its forms does not make as many leaves as other Vrieseas ,but its very worth while and easily grown from seed ( but does not like the cold ) i trust this helps you , cheers ,
Jack

o

Thank you Jack! I've heard you're supposed to keep water in the middle of the plant. Is that true?

o

Hi Tigerdawn ,you heard correctly ,with any Broms it is imparitive to keep water in the centre , some however dont have a "tank" as such, like Cryptanthus and Dyckia ,and therefore you water these in the pots more often , Jack

o

What kind of soil should it be in? The soil it came in is kind of spongy.

o

Hi Tigerdawn ,sorry about slow reply ,the potting mix for Vrieseas needs to be well draining but still hold moisture ,a good quality Cymbidium Orchid mix will do fine , Jack

o

Ok, cool. That's what my Guzmania is in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here