Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allan4519

Seedling Vriesea elata hybrids

allan4519
13 years ago

Hi all, just thought I would post some seedlings that I have produced which are surprisingly fast growing (atleast under my conditions)?

{{gwi:464367}}

I was trying to produce Vriesea elata x Vriesea elata though only one pod formed and am not exactly sure which of the listed pollen parents was responsible for this pod?

As all the seedlings are extremely consistent, I would assume that they are a primary hybrid with Vriesea.

zamorensis. These seedlings are 16months old from seed. cheers allan

Comments (3)

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Those are very interesting results, thus far, Allan. That sure is quick growth for only 16 months from seed for any Vriesea. Congratulations!

So, how come your seedlings have what appears to be colour and patterning, if both parents are plain green-leaved species?

Cheers,
    Kerry :)

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drrrrr? you got me Kerry, yep you have just solved the riddle, it must have been Vr. elan (pollen parent) as all the seedlings are this pattern and was under the impression that Vr. zamorensis had foliage colour though not the case.
    Vr elan flowers opened late in the day while Vr. elata opened in the morning, hence thought no seed set occurred though the seedlings proved me wrong.

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hello Al

All my seedlings from you are the same also, very consistent, considering Vr. Elan is a hybrid, wouldn't you expect some variation as it would now not be a primary hybrid ?? However as Vr. dubia has red underside of the leaf & is a parent in Vr. Elan this may give some of the colour in the seedlings if Elan did supply the pollen.
    The jury is still out for me Allan until we flower them.

My Vr. elata's are still in flower if you want to have another go at pollinating with them.

Pinkbroms

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions