Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19765985

I've stepped over to the Dark Side

User
15 years ago

Most of you know I like to grow my terrestrial broms hard. Lately, I've taken a 35 gallon (132 litres) trashcan, filling it with water and adding about 1-2 pounds (1 kg) of Gro-Power® organic 5-3-1 fertilizer. I let it sit for a few days, agitate it to mix it up, and then water my non-broms. Well, I tried some on my Billbergias and was really excited by the results. No color fade at all, just a very vibrant "look" and faster growth. This has been going on for about 2 months and all my plants appear more vigorous. We get the stuff in 50 lb (22 kgs) bags at work and since I supply plant material I get it free. It is really a great fert and won't burn either. So, as they said in Star Wars, " Luke, I am your Fah-tha"!

Comments (28)

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

I just tried some Miloganite tea on some broms and some clivias, it's a 6-2-0 biproduct of the Milwalkee sewer district. Your post is good news!

BTW, the tea smells really bad, and I don't put it in the cups.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Speaking of the dark side Gonzer. Do you have a pic of Lisas' "Darth Vader"? The one on FBCS is not very good....Or Lisa?

Cheers

Dennis

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll post mine this afternoon Neo.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Darth Vader

{{gwi:464644}}

• sander_s
    15 years ago

Outstanding!

How tall is that?

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Nice. Did Darth get a bit of fertilizer too? Just wondering why the newer leaves are missing the scurf.

• neomea
    15 years ago

Ah Pretty he is!!!

Thanks Gonz.

I just need to wip up the $40 to get one.....

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Gonzer, have you been letting Darth sip the Gro-Power? He looks taller and thinner than any of mine.

Yes, I need to send a new photo in to FCBS. That one wasn't great to begin with but they somehow managed to make it exponentially worse! My old Bills tend to get really ratty-looking so it's always a challenge finding a decent looking one to photograph, not to mention an uncluttered background. Here's a couple I just took of DV (those are 6" pots for scale):

{{gwi:464645}}

{{gwi:464646}}

Personally, I have to say I don't quite get what all the fuss is about. I've done lots of DM hybrids, and to me this is just another one, and not necessarily the best. Yeah, it's nice and dark, but Smokestack has similar coloration, is a faster grower, and has a nice flower too. DV is slow as the dickens and has never given me a single bloom, but if you guys like it I guess I'll keep growing it!

• winterlager
    15 years ago

Lisa, it's the name! Ah, Carrie Fisher chained to Jabba the Hut! Who wouldn't want a Brom that can bring back those adolescent memories?

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa

Your second pic of DV is stunning! I reckon its one of the better dark Bills that I have seen. Yes keep growing it! Any pics of Smokestack and whats that white+green plant to the left of DV (second pic)?

Thanks again!!!

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Dennis, the white and green thing in the photo above is one that hasn't been named or released yet. If there is one cross that is even slower than Darth, you're looking at it! Both parents (DM and sanderiana) are notorious slow-pokes, so it comes by that trait naturally. I've grown both it and its sibling a very long time without making much headway in propagating them, but maybe it's time to just give them a fistful of fertilizer to increase production, never mind what it does to the form!

Here is Smokestack, much more accomodating in it's willingness to pup...

{{gwi:464647}}

and bloom...

{{gwi:464648}}

{{gwi:464649}}

BTW, Darth has a sibling, or semi-sibling-- the seed and pollen parents were reversed, which I've found makes no difference in the outcome in most cases. Here is Obi-Wan:

{{gwi:464650}}

Much the same as DV, but more heavily spotted. Pay no attention to the ugly beat-up one on the left! I always have that problem with all the Bills, so I am constantly amazed whenever I see a big old clump where all the bloomed-out mothers still look just as good as the pups. How do you do it, Gonzer?

There may be some other siblings floating around Australia too. Cheryl Basic got a bunch of my culled seedlings from that (combined) grex. She later contacted me and said she wanted to name one Black Cinder, so I asked her to send me a photo of it so that I wouldn't register an identical twin. I never heard back so I don't know what it looks like or what the status of that is, but it hasn't been registered, so I figured I might as well go ahead and submit Darth and maybe Obi-Wan too (still pending). I got rid of all the rest, although there were some nice ones in there, but they all had basically the same look, so I didn't want to *ahem* confuse people..... ;-)

• neomea
    15 years ago

DV, Obi-Wan, smokestack. All great plants......I say register, "cause they worth it!"

Wow Lisa! "smokestack" is a stunner. Does Michael have it yet? Lovely leaves and flower!

I must agree that DM is a snail!

You seem to have the "touch" when it comes to making nice new Billbergias. Any others you care to share?

Dennis

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Dennis, I have far to many to share them all here, but since we're talking about DM hybrids, I'll limit myself to those. Here are a few of what I consider to be fairly nice ones. Some are already on FCBS, some were submitted months ago and are still awaiting posting, others still pending registration, and I have a few more that I just can't seem to get a decent photo of.

Siblings, Hana Hou and Bravo (these are somewhat smaller in size than the others below):

{{gwi:464651}}

Hard to beat Pipeline in bloom:

{{gwi:464652}}

Berry Blast:

{{gwi:464653}}

...and its sibling, Midnight Sun (starts out dark and then turns white as it matures):

{{gwi:464654}}

Oddly enough, MS blooms regularly but BB never has flowered. I have other pairs of siblings with the same story. In all of these photos, the ones you see in flower are good bloomers. The others...... not so much.

Never seen a bloom but I love the nice clean markings on Merrie Monarch:

{{gwi:464655}}

Lots of silver banding on YouTube:

{{gwi:464656}}

Black Pearl, very high-contrast:

{{gwi:464657}}

...and I don't have a good close-up of the DM x sanderiana clone you saw in the other photo, but this is its sibling (AKA super slow-poke). Not as much white spotting on this one but it got the nice big black spines from both parents. Hey, maybe Slow Poke would be a fitting name!

{{gwi:464658}}

As I said on the other thread, it's kind of hard to make a really BAD hybrid with Domingos Martins, but some are obviously better than others. They all have that DM look, though.

As to availability, check with Michael. I've sent him at least one or two of most of these (except the last one), but whether he has any for sale yet is another story. He might have some Smokestack still under formula (DM x RPSS), I don't know if he's changed the tags since I named it.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Lisa, you succeed very well in ripping my blinders off! Pipeline still stays a favourite, but Midnight Sun and the Merrie Monarch are simply stunning! But so are the rest. And if MM and Black Pearl and Slow Poke just keep on looking good without giving a flower, so much the better, the flower is short lived anyway.

Now if MM does not flower, does that tube stays alive forever and give you some pups or does mother die eventually after giving a pup or two?

Japie

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Lisa, you've been holding out on us! These are great, especially Merrie Monarch.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I received my "DV" it had more of vittata's horizontal bands, which against the darkness of the leaf is very cool. "You Tube" and "MM" are super plants Lisa!
    I'm surprised Rachael Ray hasn't gotten any plants named in her behalf? For awhile there her face was plastered everywhere. Maybe on a Dyckia or Hechtia?

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Japie, as long as you've got your blinders off, might I just add that Bills have all their floral parts easily accessible and the pollen is bright yellow so it's easy to see when you've coated the anther. In addition, they set seeds quickly and grow to maturity faster than Neos! Now, feel free to go on about your business and forget I ever mentioned it...... ;-)

Slow Poke (that is now its official name) did actually bloom this year, the first time I can recall ever having seen it. Nothing to write home about, but I did manage to snap a picture just in case it ever gets registered:

{{gwi:464659}}

Unfortunately all of mine get raggedy with age whether or not they bloom, and Merrie Monarch is no exception. It's not the fastest grower either, but still one of my favorites for foliage. For bloom, Pipeline is the pick of the (DM) litter, but it would be interesting to try pollinating DM with straight decora or one of the other big helicoids like rosea. Uh oh, now my blinders are starting to slip too! I haven't done any new Bills in a few years, but I think I need to wait until my current hot and heavy affair with the Neos runs out of steam. It always does, eventually....

Rachael Ray, gonzer? What's the connection there, am I missing something?

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Whose that dark red guy hanging over Slow Poke's shoulder in the unflowered pic?

It's a good thing I'm not your neighbor because I'd probably be broke.

"Will work from Broms"

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No connection Lisa. Everywhere I turn her face is somewhere. Just like Martha's used to be. Lost my head there.

• neomea
    15 years ago

WOW thanks for the awesome pics! I do have Bravo, but the pup I recieved was a little small and does not look good right now. I am hoping that it makes it because looking at your pic....its gonna be a beauty!

Thanks again!

Dennis

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Lisa

I see those pine bark chips in your Billbergia pots.
    Do you pot them up in 100% of that or they are just toppings.
    Thanks!

Lyndi

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Just a top dressing, Lyndi. Helps keep the weeds down.

• lyndi_whye
    15 years ago

Thanks! Lisa

I need to repot my Billbergias soon, they are not performing well colourwise.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Did Obi Wan ever get registered?

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I haven't registered anything new in the last year, HDD, so what you see in the registry now is all that has been done. I do plan to start up again soon, I just need to get organized. Obi-Wan is still kind of pending, though. Geoff wants to see a bloom photo, so I've been focusing on the ones that have bloomed. If anyone has an inflo pic of it, or of any of the others that don't flower for me, that would certainly help expedite the process!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa, Darth's siblings (x PC) are showing great colors. I culled 'em down to 6 plants that show the best sides. I'll get some photos today, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the best Darth x Pink Champagne with Paniolo x Fantasia on bottom.

{{gwi:464660}}

{{gwi:464661}}

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Gonz, you're teasing us with that artsy shot of DxPC, but I like it.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus
More Discussions