{{gwi:465320}}

{{gwi:465321}}

{{gwi:465322}}

{{gwi:465323}}

All the best, Nev.

Comments (29)

• devo_2006
    13 years ago

Hey Nev, always good to see baby pic's & yours are coming along very well. The Painted Lady hybrids are interesting, where did the variegation come from?

Cheers, Andrew

• sunshine_qld
    13 years ago

Wow. Some lovely colour there.

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Nev,

I'm with Andrew, how did you get some varigation out of Painted Lady?

There are some nice plants there.

Thanks,

Rick

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Nev,

Interesting to see them coming along, thanks for showing them. That one with the broad leaves, variegation and bright red spotting really does look pretty neat.

Cheers, Paul

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

Great looking show there Nev - well done!

• bob61
    13 years ago

They are all beautiful but I like pic #6 the most. Best bob

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me say that after reading some old posts, I see that I've written the names of the first two crosses incorrectly as I have them around the wrong way.

I didn't realise that it made any difference, but can now see that it does. So in both crosses "Painted Lady" was the pollen parent and not the seed parent as I wrote on the name tag.

To answer Andrew and Rick as to where the variegations came from, I should explain that the parent was a variegated sport from Painted Lady and not the usual Painted Lady. (see past post)

Again, I don't know if I've done the right thing by just calling it Painted Lady, should it be identified in some way to set it apart from the original?

When I did my first couple of crosses, "[Charm X Cracker Jack] x Self" and "Concentrica x [Charm x Cracker Jack]" I was just mucking around and trying different things, never intending it to be a serious attempt at hybridizing so it was just good luck on my part and perhaps a bit of help from ants as well.

At that same time the Painted Lady sport was also in flower and I used its pollen to fertilise a couple of flowers on each of Neo. Grace, Bea Hanson and Neo Ferny Grove.

As for the seed pods, I finished up with two on the Grace and one each on the Ferny Grove and the Bea Hanson. Although the germination rate was good, I only kept about 15 of each as I was running out of room to grown them on at that stage.

The cross with the Bea Hanson gave pretty ordinary looking plants, some plain, some spotted and three with radial red lines which I kept.

The seedlings in the pic's above are the largest with the remainder quite a bit smaller (see pic's below)

{{gwi:465324}}

{{gwi:465325}}

{{gwi:465326}}

{{gwi:465327}}

As I've posted before, almost every flower on the Painted Lady [sport] resulted in a seed pod without any assistance from me. Most of the seedling were plain while about 10% have had some variegations. Most were very ordinary and were pretty slow growing. The best looking one is albo-marginated (se Rt. side of pic 3) but it is even slower to grow.

So to answer the question, I can only imagine the variegations came from the Painted Lady [sport], I don't know as I'm not the expert, I just got lucky.

Maybe Lisa or Jack can shed some light on the puzzle as they have a lot of experience hybridizing.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Nev, have you been able to toss any in the dumpster yet? I'm getting much better at it but I have to get better...soon.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bromadams,

Yes I have, but it still hurts.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

It took me a few days to reach my conclusion and this morning I finally tossed this one in the trash. So far I've gotten rid of about 13 from this grex. I got rid of 9 when they were much smaller and now I'm working through the remaining dozen or so that are left. It's going to be hard to get it down to 4 or 5.

{{gwi:465328}}

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

I wish I could shed some light on it, Nev, but I'm thoroughly confused (and the fact that the first pictures have been removed doesn't help!) I can't remember what the crosses were now, but yes, it definitely makes a difference which one you list first, at least when you're talking about variegates. I'm still not convinced your "Painted Lady" is in fact the real deal and not a hybrid like carolinae x Painted Lady. I suppose it's possible it could have thrown a sport with some variegation, but I'd have to see it to believe it, and as I recall, your PL didn't show any of the usual identifying markings. If it was used as a pollen parent, though, that wouldn't explain the variegated babies. That trait comes from the seed parent.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Firstly I don't know how or why the first pic's were removed. Who does it, is it Photo Bucket or Garden Web? It wasn't me 'cause I don't know how to do it.

As for the original plant that the variegated sport first came from, all I can say is that it had a tag of Painted Lady and it did look similar to other Painted Lady's I've seen, but then again I didn't look all that closely and I didn't have another to put beside it for comparison.

The possibility you suggest that it could have been a hybrid of carolinae x Painted Lady didn't occur to me and again it may be a case of a similar looking plant which was given the name of Painted Lady.

It's getting to the stage where I wish I'd never bought the bl--dy thing. One good thing that has come out of all this though is that I've learned to examine plants carefully in the future and not accept that they are in fact what the name tag says, I guess I'm just too trusting.

All the best, Nev.

• malleeaustralia
    13 years ago

Bromadams - you must have the best looking trash can's around ;-)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

You didn't delete your pics from Photobucket, Nev? Everything I've ever put in there stays there until I pull it from PB, at which point all links are broken. I have some photos that have been up for years, as you know. PB has never removed them and neither has the GW. If you change the name in the tag line, that could break the link too, but if you haven't been to Photobucket at all since you posted them, then whodunnit???

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Looks like the pics are still on PB. It could be that the pics were getting too much traffic from GW so PB blocked access. PB doesn't get to show any ads/make money if they are hosted on GW so I wouldn't expect them to put up with too much traffic from GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Splinter's pics

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Never mind, it looks like the URLs changed. Did you move the pictures to a "Bromeliad Seedlings" folder?

Here is one with the "new" URL

{{gwi:438450}}

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Nick

Wow! How did you do that?

It must be great to fully understand and be able to fully utilise all the complicated functions of a computer.
    I thought I was pretty clever when I found out how to sort out my pic's into different folders but it appears that I've just "snookered" myself instead.

Thanks for explaining what happened to the pic's.

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Nev ,

I have seen and own a few so called variegated 'Painted Lady' Neo ,s but they all turned out to be from Neo carolinea x Painted Lady ,part of the problem seems to be the tags in pots ,as the tag(s) weather the top part either fades or breaks of ,leaving the half in the pot that than only says 'Painted Lady ' have seen this happen in many Orchid collections as well , and then that part of the tag becomes the 'adopted' name ,the whole deal becomes mixed up ,its happened with Vrieseas,from the cross that made ' Mauna Kea' and then the 'Snows of Mauna Kea ' there are many plants from the selfings of both circulating . originating from Cheryl Basic ,for some reason most people that purchase these promptly add " Snows of " in front of the 'Mauna Kea ' ,thats not her fault at all ,she is a great grower and very honest ,and i feel most people dont even know there are 2 differing plants ( grexes) but you can't mistake them ,as they are totally different ,' Mauna Kea ' has longtitudal lines , and the 'Snows of " has cross scribbling ( the parentage of both plants have nothing in common ) but you cannot convince people , so you may find that your ' Painted Lady' variegate was a hybrid ,i have never seen a true variegate sport of ' Painted Lady' one of the variegated seedlings in your photo looks almost like 'Meyendorfii variegata ' wich to me is a dead give away as well as the rest of them show very strong Carolinea traits , thats my thoughts , other than that there are some nice coloured plants in the making there ,
    cheers
    Jack

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your input it's much appreciated and it also confirms what Lisa suspected. I never thought about the name tag fading or breaking off as I make my own tags out of old venetian blind slats and write on them with an OHP marking pen and I find they don't break or fade. Because of this, every new brom I get, I write a new tag out straight away.

It's pretty obvious from what Lisa and you say, that the original plant had the wrong name, whether it was due to a broken tag, or faded tag doesn't matter so much, the end result is that I need to write a new tag out now with Neo. "NOID" on it.

Oh well, another one to join the ranks of the great unknown.

All the best, Nev.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, interesting stuff.

Nev, I wouldn't worry too much about the parentage if you get some nice plants out of it. I'm sure that some identification and record keeping has been very professional and exact, but I would be totally amazed if the supposed parentage was correct for vast numbers of registered plants when you add years of label confusion + patchy record keeping + mis-identified pollinations + taxonomic changes into the mixing pot.

Jack, your broken/faded label explanation is a beauty. I used to drive myself crazy with that with orchids I was hybridising even without any help from outside, and the 'Snows of / Mauna Kea' comments explain a few plants I've seen that almost certainly ain't what they say they are. Many thanks.

Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    13 years ago

Hi all

I like them Nev... Would be interested in seeing the pups from the variegated plants in the future.

Regarding tags and fading: I use a pencil, doesnt fade in the elements at all.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Neomea, I'm very quickly getting p---ed off with the confusion I've caused with these seedlings and I'm still kicking myself for not making sure the original plant was correctly named.

I can probably put it down to inexperience in that case but I'll be more careful to double check names from here on in before I open my mouth or post pic's again, even if it will possibly increase my collection of NOIDS.

Re. fading tags; The reason I use home made tags made from old venetian blinds, is that they cost nothing and don't fade whether I use a pencil or pen, although I prefer pen as it's clearer to read for me.

Other local growers who write on plastic tags using the same type of pen as me to prevent fading, complain that they still fade, in fact quicker than they do with pencil.

I don't think it's so much the pen or the pencil, I think it's the material the tags are made from.

All the best, Nev.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Nev, I don't mind a few "rough edges" in these posts. This is for fun, right?

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Nev,
    i woul not get to upset Mate ,some things are beyond our control, fortunately some features persist in some plants and a lot can be worked out ,if not sure of the name on the tag just put a question mark behind the given name that will remind you there is some doubt ,but dont let this deter you ok ? we all stand to be corrected at times and i have recycled many a venetian blind in to tags ,and yes Paul you are correct ,there are many plants registered that you 'd have to be blind to accept the given parentage ,but thats what happens , as for labels fading ,i have found that some labels are quite " greasy" when new and they fade ith a vengeance ,i recycle labels ,if soaked in Methylated spirits and then bleach ,they get rinsed and all the old ink is gone ,after that they dont fade ,when i did that with new labels (only the Metho soak) they hardly ever fade so i think the release agent in the mould has a great deal to do with it ,and Yes Lisa, i to have known a few people that would only ever call the plant by the one name ,i think they pick the name thats easy to remember or as you say ;the A part ,very very annoying hmmm ? and yes when these people pass their "knowledge " on we have a problem ,
    Jack

• dooleybugs01
    13 years ago

nev,
    Sure your sick of all this but just a couple more hints for the labels.
    1. if you use marker pen push the label down all the way into potting mix. This is to keep it from direct sunlight, this causes the writing to fade.
    2. i use a 2B pencil myself as it is darker. The only thing is it may smudge but i have not had any issues.
    3. Ice-cream containers and the like cut into strips work OK with oil based pens but you need to sandpaper some of the labels first before using pencil.
    hope this helps
    Dooley.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Nev,

I'm with Nick, you've just got to have a bit of a chuckle every so often. Remember my variegated blanchetiana (not), the one I was so excited about receiving a while back!

Cheers, Paul

• neomea
    13 years ago

Hey all!

Nev, you can give it your own name. Maybe Nevs Nemesis!

Hahaha Paul I remember that! Still Peaches and Cream (was it?) is still a gem!

Cheers

Dennis

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dennis,

I've called it a lot of names since this thread started (all unprintable) and that wasn't one of them.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
More Discussions