Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob740

Small Neos

bob740
16 years ago

Lisa,a request.

I'd like to know the names of about a dozen neos the size of a 'Fireball' that have lots of different colors,bars,stripes,dots,spots etc,that I could obtain from Michaels. I was just looking at some recent posts where you had photos,but judging their size is difficult.No need to put some of those on the list,as I have them on my 'want list' already,like Kiko,Popoki,punct.rubra x tigrina.

I now have Eoz,Zoe,Mo Pepper Please,..and want to compliment them with something different but the same size.

[Dang,how I wish you could sell to us]

So, 'thank you' in advance for this favor,

Bob

Comments (23)

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

You're not talking about just my stuff, are you, Bob? I have a few that you could add to your list now, like Caviar and Ruby Throat, but most will probably have to wait a bit.

Just in general, though, some nice little guys that Michael has on his list are Cheers, Domino, Tar Baby, Dartanion, Granada, Nonis, Shamrock, Red Waif, angustifolia x pauciflora, ampullacea (variegated), and either Pheasant OR Wild Tiger (they're very similar, but both nice). I notice Paul has a real cutie along similar lines: Checkerboard. Is that in the trade yet, Paul?

I don't see Gorrion on the list, but he should have it, maybe under another name. You've already mentioned Popoki; I like Alley Cat too, but it's along the same lines, and there are a number of other similar ones, like Tiger Cat, Tiger Cub, Wee Willie and lilliputiana x Blushing Tiger. Any one of them would be nice, but you don't need them all.

These are all hybrids, and mostly stoloniferous to some degree or other. Did you want a list of species too, or of small single rosette types as well? I'm sure others here have their favorites too.

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Bob, I see that you have N Zoe and N Eoz. You don't happen to have a picture of both of them tha you can post? I'm sure you saw my thread where I am confused by their identities and any helpclearing that up would be appreciated.
    To add to Lisa's list, Annick is also vey nice. And then I have one Neo (carolinae x Painted Lady) X (lilliputiana x Fireball)Very nice little plant. Like a miniature carolinae albo-marginated.

• devo_2006
    16 years ago

I am having a quiet evening, so thought I would jump in here & add a few comments.

There is something about these small Neo's. I have always been focused on the big monsters...johannis...cruenta...correia-araujoi...pascoliana...big concentricas...Gee Whiz...etc...but now I am discovering that these miniatures are just fascinating...and they take up less room...!

The Grace Goode hybrids are available here, so they often feature in collections.

This one is still on my wish list. Neo Wild Tiger.

{{gwi:465361}}

But I just got a pup from this one. Neo Alley Cat.

{{gwi:465362}}

Pheasant is here, but seems to be soooo slow in our conditions. Now, I do like that one of Pauls...N. Checkerboard...very nice markings, will have to watch out for that.

Unfortunately we may have to wait awhile b4 Lisa's hybrids become more available down under...But we will get there...last month we had a few of the small Neo species on display at our Brom meeting. One of them was Neo smithii...and the comment was made that this plant has been used by a very talented hybridiser to make some lovely new hybrids...

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

CAVIAR is a must, it has become one of our favorites. I jut got AZTEC, and it is really nice, although it might be a bit larger. Pauls CHECKERBOARD does look very nice.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Checkboard is a keeper :)

• minibim
    16 years ago

Here's 2 I like:

Spineless

{{gwi:465363}}

Pemiento

{{gwi:465364}}

• mario-one
    16 years ago

I'm looking for a stoloniferous type that kind of drapes downwards, or does it grow downwards based on how you attach it?

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Offhand I can't think of any hybrids that cascade straight down, Mario, but some species that do are pauciflora, hoehneana, tigrina and sapiatibensis.

• catkim
    16 years ago

I saw a cutie at the last meeting, Neo. 'Wescot' (or 'Westcot'?), but I haven't found it listed anywhere. The guy showing it didn't have any to sell, said it's really slow to pup, but it had wonderful color and a very tight, small rosette with many leaves. Any of you heard of it?

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Bob, the picture you posted of N Alley Cat, reminds me a lot of one that I got as N punctatissima Yellow. Could it be that it is the same plant and just lately got a proper name, or are they two diffirent plants? Mine is only 9cm tall and from tip to tip 13cm wide. During high summer it was a lot yellower, with the weak winter sun, it faded a bit. Here are two view of the plant:
    {{gwi:465366}}
    {{gwi:465367}}

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

Your plant could well be straight punctatissima, Japie, or should I say N. ampullacea 'Punctate'. There have been a lot of hybrids made with it or the more bronze-colored "punctatissima rubra", and many of them look very similar.

Here are just a few of them:

Here is a link that might be useful: some punctatissima hybrids

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks, Lisa, for the effort to show me that list. Of those listed I have Pheasant and Clarice.

And something else I'd like you to know: Two of your plants are going to be posted to me on Monday. Ring of Fire and Kiko. I am looking very much forward to having them in my garden! They will be my inspiration to try some hybridising of my own.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Put Kiko in very bright light avane ..very bright

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Very bright as in some late afternoon sun? Does it look best viewed from the top or can I mount it so you see it more from the side?

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

morning sun is the ideal light

• bob740
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW ! thank you all for such a generous response.I now have quite the task of selecting the best of the best.
    Til seeing these pics and Lisa's fcbs list,I had no idea that there were so many eye appealing 'little ones'.
    I think I'm all set now.
    [speaking of 'little ones',a bit of humor...while in town this morning,I was following a station wagon that had this sign in the back window "who are all these kids,and why do they keep calling me Mom ?"] Well,it struck me funny,anyway.
    Thanks much for all your help with the small neos,and the many pics.
    Bob

• LisaCLV
    16 years ago

I hope they do well for you, Japie! Kiko should show its spots from either angle if it gets enough light. It is not a small plant, more medium-sized, and has red cup color when in bloom. Mine can take full tropical sun all day long.

Gee, Bob, I was just getting started! I think you've got enough to put together a nice assortment, though. I am rather fond of the little ones, and want to focus more on them.

• minibim
    16 years ago

Japie,

I was reading a group of letters a man wrote back in the 1960s regarding Hibiscus. The letters were from his travels all over, Australia, Africa, Indonesia etc.

The one thing he would comment about was how the same Hibiscus had a different name in every country. He would start to list them and some Hibiscus had 5 to 6 names for the same plant!

I would think the same thing happens with other genera as well, just to add to the confusion of everything.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

It happens less in broms

• avane_gw
    16 years ago

Now don't you start me on Hibiscus as well. That I am also crazy about. I have quite a lot - about 50 - and started cross pollinating them some time agao. Now I am sitting with between 200 and 400 plants to grow to flowerning stage to see what is what and I havn't got the space really to do that!

• bromeliaddict
    16 years ago

Well, miss a couple of days on this forum and you miss a lot! Weather is finally settling into a summer pattern, and I've been busy moving all of my plants out of the crowded, overgrown greenhouse and out to the shadehouse.
    First of all, a warm welcome to all our Aussie friends who are new to the Forum!
    Now for the small plant choices- it seems like there are getting to be a million of them! Of the ones mentioned above, my favorite has to be N. 'Red Waif'. It's a very cute plant by itself, and forms a wonderful specimen clump. IÂve got about a dozen plants in- and spilling over the edges- of a 5" pot. You canÂt go far wrong with any of the others listed, except possibly ÂDominoÂ. IÂve had ÂDomino for years, and that's been the one disappointment for me of those listed. I've tried to make it happy, but I think weÂre too far north to grow it with proper color and conformation.
    A couple more that are not mentioned that are worth considering: Neo. pendula and various hybrids with it, and Neo. pabstiana- currently in bloom for me. ItÂs a fascinating, spineless Neo. with the thickest, most succulent leaves to rival many Dyckias! IÂll post photos soon in a new thread with some of my current and recent bloomers. One more slightly larger plant that I really like is Neo. ÂBob WorkÂ. ItÂs listed in the most recent Tropiflora Cargo Report as Neo. [princeps x Fireball] x ÂPeggy PollardÂ. For clarification, the princeps x Fireball is now recognized as ÂGranadaÂ, and ÂPeggy Pollard turns out to be N. burlemarxii.
    My Neo. ÂCheckerboard is starting to get around. I gave Michael one a couple of years ago. It should have bloomed and pupped by now, but IÂd be skeptical that he has it in any great numbers yet. IÂve shared a few other pups, most recently one I sent to HDD. (I appreciate the warm and fuzzy feedback!) Without divesting too much of my little clump, IÂve got one pup large enough to take off now. I may have 2 or 3 more by the end of summer.
    Paul

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

Sorry Paul since their arrival I have been on the road..Your plants are amazing in how much color they have at such young ages..will be interesting to see them at summers end...pictures will be posted a bit later

• minibim
    16 years ago

Now don't get you started on Hibiscus! Hah! Definitely the top of my list of favs, followed by gingers, bananas, heliconias, bromeliads......... SOMEBODY HELP ME! PUHLEASE!!!!!

You see where the Bromeliads come in though.... when my yard started looking like I grew nothing under 10 feet tall, I realized I had to make a change.

Sponsored
More Discussions