Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to revive this partially crispy bromeliad?

Posted by galiana 5a NH (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 20:44

I made a mistake in allowing my poor, black-thumbed husband to take this bromeliad to his office. He put it on a plant stand by the radiator and allowed it to dry out.

About a month ago I rescued it and have put it in our fairly high humidity bathroom, trimmed back the dead parts of the leaves, and have been watering it regularly -- about once every week or 10 days. While most of the leaves are nice and green, the central stalk is still crispy.

Should I do something to remove the central stalk, or is there some other way that I should go about renovating this bromeliad? Though I have been watering it for the past month or so, it has not put on any growth.

When I bought this plant, the woman at the garden center said I should pour the water in the central stalk. However, reading up on things I see that some people recommend watering the soil instead of the stalk in potted bromeliads. Which is the better idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to revive this partially crispy bromeliad?

Both are needed by the plant. You won't do anything to improve that plant but you have a pup coming out the side.
Wait until it is about 2/3 the size of the mother before removing. Mum may put out a few more pups before she is done.

o

That is not a crispy "central brown stalk", it's the dead flower head of the plant. Leave it be and as Sunshine pointed out there's an offset forming so everything's good.

o

Gonzer I don't think that flower ever met its full potential.
Mine usually last nearly a year until they look like that.

o

Broms are so hardy that for many it takes a while to dry out because their leaves can hold moisture very well. By the same token, if dried out, it can take a while to 'remoisture' them. A mistake people often make is to water them in their pot and often this leads to root rot. I take them out of the pot, clean the roots and stick them in a pail of rainwater for a day. Totally submerged. A good soaking. Then after their soaking, I put them in a shaded breezy area and watch them. Sometimes they need another soaking if they have harder leaves. Many times, I pull them from their pot and I take the garden hose sprayer and I clean them very deeply. This dislodges crud that can cause root rot especially in Neo's. Remember that most broms can grow without soil so let those roots have some air when they are under stress and you will find the pups just come along and surprise you! You can fix this plant no problem!

o

No amount of soaking is going to rejuvinate that dead flower.
Galiana you can cut the dead flower off to make the plant look better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here