Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Neo. ID...found a name,a new can of worms....oy vey!

aveo5
12 years ago

Well I went to the Bromeliad site that was recommended to me. that is full of pictures,including the (Neo. Donger). Well...it turns out that my smaller 'Pimento' looking Neo, SEEMS that is is Neo.Donger, from the pictures I saw, the dark big basket full of plants, looks like mine. BUT I know the name that came with it was much longer than just Neo.Donger.

NOW I also saw a lighter colored leaf Neo.Donger in the 3 pictures listed under Neo.Donger. I have that one to. It is lighter, has pink and green leaves, and it is also in full sun, as is the darker one is as well.

BUT I have a 3rd one that I do HAVE the tag,...and it is called. (Fireball 'Albo-Varigata' Donger). And it is a mid pink striped version. I didnt see it in the Donger pictures. Are all 3 of these the same plant? But all 3 are in full sun here in south Fla,and all 3 have 3 different colored leaves. Ranging from the dark red striped one, that is pictured on that Bromeilad site, to the mid pink and green striped one, that is also on that site with the darker red one, to the 'Albo-Varigata' one, that is more pink and white and is NOT shown with the other 2.

Now i am more messed up. They are all near each other, they all get full sun nearly all day,under a Plumeria tree,and they are all Neo. Donger? With the exception of the 'FireBall Albo-Varigata', I dont have the tags for the other two, but they are in the picture listed under Neo. Donger. on that Bromeliad website of pictures.

Does that mean they are the same plant, but got crossed by someone with some other variety of bromeliad? And I got all 3 and they are just slightly different because of the crossing that must have happened? So I have 3 'Neo. Dongers'....that are just slightly different? The sizes are close as well. The 'Albo-Varigata' is the only one that gets rather big,up to 8in across, instead of 4-5in. It gets bigger with more light. In less direct sun,it is the size of the deep red Donger one that i wanted the name of.

So....now I have the puzzle....do i basically have 3 'Neo.Dongers'? That are slightly different, because someone crossed them with different bromeliads?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus
More Discussions