Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help

Posted by katladie z8Louisiana (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 21:34

My Mom has a bromeliad like the one at the beginning of the forum. It has bloomed and I removed the dead bloom. Two of the outside leaves have turned brown and shriveled. It is in a six inch pot, should I repot it. What type of soil? Do I cut the dead leaves out? Also the place I bought it said to put water down in the cup or rosette of the leaves, is this correct?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help

Sharon, your plant sounds like Aechmea fasciata? if it is the same as the image in this forum?
Before going into what to do with your plant how about telling the forum what growing conditions you have? ie out doors or indoors, full sun out doors, or in a shade house or indoors where there is no actual direct light?
If you are growing your plant out doors in a half day sun position, and have not watered the soil since your mum go this plant then would almost certainly give the soil a good drench and hopefully it has not been too stressed that it has got bugs into the roots yet? pull the plant out of pot to check the health of roots if you suspect bugs in the soil?
Aechmea fasciata is generally a warm growing plant and likes lots of water during the summer if night temperatures are above 59oC (as plants do all the growing at night).
If you get a chance take an image and post it to the forum and if not sure of how to add an image ask members how to show images??? ie photobucket web site is a place where you can put your image and then copy the address of your image to the post on this forum?

hope this did not confuse you allan

Here is a link that might be useful: upload your images to this site Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here