Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Bromeliads Growing From The Flower Pods???

Posted by rleeq 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 22:11

Found 2 of what I think is a "tillandsia utriculata," growing near me in Homestead on a roadside tree. Brought them home. Each one has a large "baby" growing at it's base without roots or flowering part...yet.
Both mothers seem to have matured and It appears that they have both flowered as they both have long dry stalks. One has what I think are seeds, ( very small seed with white fuzz like one of nebu's pics).
The other one though is strange to me. It has a long dry stalk which has apparently flowered, but it has teeny tiny (largest is maybe 1/2 inch) babies, kind of hanging under what is left of the flower heads. I'm wondering how to harvest them to propagate. Some of the babies have the beginnings of roots.

(I thought that babies only grew from the base of the mother plant, not from the flower pods.)

Thanks R'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Bromeliads Growing From The Flower Pods???

The babies you're referring to are simply seeds that have germinated among the old seed pods on the inflorescence. Simply take tweezers and lift them off and attach them to whatever mounting medium you like. A tiny dab of a silicon glue will help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here