Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

Winter camp

paul_t23
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been starting to build up a bit of a collection of broms down the back yard that will take a good bit of direct sun, so I can use them to re-brom-scape the front yard when I get the fence put up to keep the @#$%** deer out. But the days are getting short, the sun is getting low in the sky and the north-side neighbour's pencil pine hedge (more like escarpment) has gotten taller! My sun-loving broms have been sitting in deep shade for the last couple of weeks!

Not good! So, with some weed mat, some bags of pinebark and some pavers, today they have a winter holiday camp out in the nice sunny middle of the back lawn. How could I resist some photos!

{{gwi:466031}}

{{gwi:466032}}

Come to think of it, that means less lawn to mow .... and lots more room for broms ... with a bit more weed mat, and some more pinebark and pavers ......... Hey, I think the winter camp might become permanent. And bigger!

Cheers, Paul

Comments (8)

• aroideana
    14 years ago

YEP , get rid of that green cancer , and have wall to wall broms .. no need for expensive lawnmowers , irrigation , fertilizing , time , energy and expense mowing the dam stuff every week . I know people with just a massive shade house that cover the whole back yard .. maybe a tiny patch under a hills hoist , you could mow with a pair of scissors .

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi aroideana,

Hmmmm. I got set up for inside clothes-drying last winter when I was on crutches for 3 months. That means I could do the whole lot!!!!!!! Now there's a benefit from ankle surgery that I hadn't though of!

Cheers, Paul

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Paul,
    Your plants are looking good, the red tipped Neo - is that Johannis?

Cheers,

Rick

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rick, thanks.

A lot of them are plants that I've only just purchased over the last 4 or 5 months as pups (some of them ginormous pups!) and they're just starting to grow out into a bit of colour and shape, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them develop further.

The big red-tipped one is Neo. Red Macaw. It is listed in the BSI Cultivar Registry as having unknown parents but with links to johannis. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Paul

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Paul,

Thanks Red Macaw would have been my 2nd guess, Bruce Dunstan took out 1st prize at one of our society meetings with a magnificent looking Red Macaw - he had heavily fertilised it and worked some of his magic to produce a yellow plant with bright red tips about a metre in diameter.

I am hoping to pick one up from John Catlin soon.

Rick

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Paul,
    Nice, neat, great looking new brom garden.

I'm thinking of doing away with some of our front grass as well.

I intend extending a garden bed halfway across the front yard to include an existing Golden Robinia tree in which I'd like to grow broms in as well as the garden. (Has anyone grown broms. on the nice rough bark of a Golden Robinia?)

Unlike you, I don't have trouble with deer in my front yard, only Saturday night drunks and vandals, that's why I will have a lot of Ae. recurvatas and other broms with good spines on them (any suggestions?)to hopefully act as a deterrent.

I'll post some pic's if and when the project gets off the ground.

All the best, Nev.

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Hi All...great work there Paul - nice to see you have some Ae Aztec King there I think - I love them fellas, and they love the sun!

I have always wanted a font yard entirely garden - no more green cancer for me. So last April I started my dream. I had some large-ish trees/palms (Pandanus, standard Hibiscus, 2 x Date Palms & a Burrawang Plam) moved into my yard - from the park besides my house. (I had planted them there 5-10 years ago just for this dream!)

In Sep 08 I had some rock retaining walls built; and then started planting the Broms and other things!

No more mowing for me!

In the beginning..
    {{gwi:466033}}

Rock walls up, dirt in..
    {{gwi:466034}}

Here comes the Broms!
    {{gwi:466035}}

So much room for more still..
    {{gwi:466037}}

Did I mention the 10sqM of mulch!
    {{gwi:466038}}

No more mowing for me!
    {{gwi:466039}}

After more planting and a great summer of rain, and even now in Autumn we had 18 consecutive days of rain; things are growing - and I still haven't added the shade area out front as yet!

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Shane, that is some serious lawn removal. Now I am well and truly motivated! With the landscaping plus palms plus the big structural Alc's and Aechmeas as they get established, that front yard of yours is going to be spectacular. Hope you keep us posted with pics.

Nev, seems like the poor old lawn is really taking a hiding these days. Hmmm ... after having tripped over in my patch of Portea petropolitana's recently, I could
    recommend them as a deterrent to just about anything - make a nice standout feature as well. Happy plotting!

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions