Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azcactus_gw

Bromeliad (esp. Air Plant) nurseries in San Diego area

azcactus
14 years ago

I'll be in the San Diego area over Memorial Day weekend and I was interested in visiting any nurseries that might have a good selection of air plant bromeliads-- especially any nurseries that are in the Vista area. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Comments (8)

• sdandy
    14 years ago

Well, down in San Diego, there is a show and sale going on in Balboa Park that weekend. Pretty sure there will be some tillandsias on sale there as well as other broms (and probably a lot cheaper than anywhere else). With regards to tillandsias, I'll check who all is selling stuff, some people have a great selection at some sales.

A lot of nurseries have at least some selection. Are you looking specific specimen plants, bulk, or just a range of selection? Everywhere from the box stores, Walter Anderson, Armstrong's, Exotic Gardens, and a bunch more. But most seem to have the same suppliers for the air plants so they tend to be the smaller/younger ones and somewhat the same selection. I'm not sure when Bird Rock is open and there is supposed to be something with cool random selection up around Rancho Santa Fe area (I think). I know I'm forgetting others, does anyone else in the area have other suggestions (and for me too)?

Gonzer might have some suggestions for North County.
    -andy

• catkim
    14 years ago

You might contact John Arden and make an appointment to visit his place, he is in north county. Outstanding vriesea collection, also many tillandsia.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Rich, Bird Rock has one of the best selections of Tillandsias around. I'd make that your first stop. See link for address and phone #.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Rock Tropicals

• User
    14 years ago

Birdrock is kind of hit and miss these days as Pam has been busy with other projects. Mon-Wed at BR or phone for an appointment on other days. John Arden's would definitely top my list but his Tillandsia stock is almost non-existent (for true species). I'm in Oceanside Rich, if you'd like to drop by that'd be cool. I've got around 400+ different species and hybrids. PM me if interested.

• kimkerwin_att_net
    14 years ago

How can I contact John Arden. I'd like to ask him about some of his T. hybrids. Thanks, Kim

• jujubrazil
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I also would love to visit John Arden's. I am local in Carlsbad. Thanks!
    Juliana

• User
    9 years ago

John is basically out of Tillandsia hybrids.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions