Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

Bert or not Bert, that was the question ...

paul_t23
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

This goes back to a thread last November (see link below) where I posted a pic of a plant that I had purchased as a small pup, supposedly of Ae. correia-araujoi but which obviously was not after a little bit of growth, so much so that I was beginning to question whether I had been sent a mis-labelled 'Bert'.

There was a fair bit of discussion and some great pics of beaut plants from several people, with Lisa suggesting that it looked very much like her Ae. 'Pali Ridge' (Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert'), although it was difficult to be too certain of anything because mine had not flowered yet.

Well now it has and Lisa, I'd say that you may have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've shown my original pre-flowering pic again first for the sake of continuity, followed by pics of the plant now in flower.

Pre-flowering Nov. 09

{{gwi:466127}}

Flowering May 10 (for comparison, see Lisa's plant flowering in the original thread):

{{gwi:466128}}

{{gwi:466129}}

So Lisa, even if it is not actually a pup from your original Ae. 'Pali Ridge', both the plant and the inflorescence sure do look so close that a re-make of the same Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert' cross could be a pretty good bet. After its initial listing on Oz eBay as Ae. correia-araujoi, quite a few went on to be sold under the name "Aechmea hybrid", so hopefully this might be of interest to a few other people.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, and thanks for the original info!

Cheers, Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

Comments (11)

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Looks like Bert to me.

{{gwi:466130}}

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Hey Paul,

I suspect you could be very hot to almost boiling close to your Aechmea's ID, now that it is flowering. As Lisa said in the original thread, both Cheryl Basic and Olive T. have bought and imported to Australia unnamed siblings of her Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert' grex. I am not aware of either Cheryl or Olive having actually imported Lisa's named hybrids of same. Two and a half years ago, Olive had several of that same cross of Lisa's growing well in her nursery. Olive has imported others of Lisa's, such as Ae. c-a x orlandiana and Ae. c-a x Canistrum seidelianum - also unnamed siblings of named hybrids - and therefore under formula versus hybrid name.

Your plant looks a dead ringer for those shown in photos below. Those photos were taken at the Olive Branch in January, '08. It is quite likely that some have started circulating around the Aussie brom traps. It also sounds like another case of only half the formula left on the label - only this time, the second half!

As we have discussed, primary hybrids are generally fairly uniform. This explains the similarity to Lisa's named cultivars of the same cross.

Need to look closely at the (almost spent) flower spikes - sorry!
    Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert' (Lisa V.)
    {{gwi:454323}}

Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert' (Lisa V.)
    {{gwi:454324}}

Do we have a likely match? Paul? Lisa?

OR is it Ae. 'Bert', as Nick suspects? My Berts have a more compact inflo than Paul's plant.

K :)

P.S. Great to finally meet you out of cyber space, Paul! The Brom Camp weekend was a hoot!

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Well, now that I've seen the inflorescence, I think I'm going to side with Nick on this one (despite the fact that his pic is MIA). The c-a hybrids all have very slender wiry stems, and the shape of the inflo is slightly different, more delicate.

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

And if I may add my 2 cent's worth. I would very much like to say it looks like my Bert (which is growing up in a tree with a bit too much shade), but when mine flowered last year, the flower was a bit more compact despite the heavy shade. So maybe your plant is indeed a c-a x Bert who looks very much like Daddy, but Mommy made the flower stretch out just that wee little bit?

Aech Bert:
    {{gwi:466132}}

Japie

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again everyone,

Well, the uncertainty continues! As also noted by Kerry and Japie, I thought that the inflorescence was noticeably less condensed than examples of 'Bert' that I've seen, hence my moving away from Nick's and Lisa's diagnosis of 'Bert' and more towards the Ae. correia-araujoi x 'Bert' pics of Lisa's in that old thread. But, after Lisa's comments about a more slender inflorescence in her plants, I've gone back to her pics and I can certainly see what she means.

Japie, I'm still inclined to your suggestion that maybe a mommy Ae. c-a has stretched the inflorescence a bit, but
    I think I'll have to settle with..........hmmmmmm, I just thought of another something! I'm donning the headtorch to go and take another pic. Back in a moment.

Cheers, Paul

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back again,

I just realised that I had taken the original pic from below the level of the flower spike, which would tend to make it look a bit shorter and fatter than it really was. Here is another pic taken just now from the same level as the flower spike. Any difference putting them side by side?
    {{gwi:466134}}

Not much difference there. I guess that "Aechmea hybrid" is still looking like the way to go if I need to give this plant a name.

Thanks again for your help. Cheers, Paul

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

There seem to be a number of clones of Bert floating around, Paul. I get the feeling it may be used more like a grex name for any hybrid of orlandiana and fosteriana rather than being limited to a specific cultivar. In addition, it can self, so there are probably F2s bearing that name too. With all that, it's not surprising that there would be some variation in the size and shape of the inflo.

I'm not going to definitively rule out the possibility that it could have c-a in it too, but I'm still not seeing it in the inflo. Even your second pic looks chunkier than any of the crosses I've done using c-a. If it is a c-a hybrid, it's not one of mine, and it leans so heavily towards the Bert side that I would be comfortable tagging it as such.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

In my ( limited ) experience ,i think you have hit the nail on the head Lisa ,there are a number of differing clones of "Bert " around and it does seem more a grex name than all else , and i have several ,and not all spikes are the same . for me the plant in question is a straight ' Bert' , the spike is far to robust for the other ,Ae c-a seems to always impart its slender spike habit ,But having said that ,only a foolish person is 100% sure ,a wise man leaves a little room for doubt, ( confucius )
    Jack

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa, Hi Jack,

All good points and a nice little learning exercise for me. Thanks a lot for all of the info. It's great to be able to draw on your experience once again.

Cheers, Paul

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Lisa, tell me more about Bert selfing. I put some pollen on Bert this winter and have a few seedlings growing. I only got seeds from the flowers I crossed but I'd hate to be growing F2s.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

It was a long time ago, Nick, so I don't remember all the details, I just remember growing out a bunch of F2s. I'm pretty sure I didn't hand pollinate it, as this was before I started hybridizing. I suppose it's possible it could have gotten pollinated by something else, but I didn't see any evidence of that in the offspring. They weren't very attractive, though. The parent had much nicer markings and coloration, but the flowers were pretty similar.

I don't know if all the clones self, and I don't even have a Bert anymore. If you only got seeds from the ones you pollinated, then that's a good sign. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep that possibility in the back of your mind. It might be kind of like Hannibal Lecter, i.e. an occasionally selfer which also accepts outside pollen when it's offered.

Sponsored
More Discussions