Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Plant

Posted by smokedbyremy Sunset Z18, SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 0:03

I have two pinapple plants in my yard that are getting burned foliage. I thought pineapples were able to withstand the full sun in Hawaii, so why not in So Cal?

Also what is the best soil mixture for these plants? Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Remy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Plant

Hi Remy ,pineapples can stand full sun just about anywhere on earth ,have you checked wether they are dry in the pots or in the ground ? a dry root system is often the problem with sunburn as well as cold damage , so other than that i am at a loss ,still wich type / form / species are you growing ?
Jack

o

Jack,
Both are grocery store bought. One was from my late mother. Been growing (not too well) for about two years now. The other I bought, also at grocery store. Just the typical pinapples in the produce section. I can't remember if it was Costa Rica or Hawaii grown. Also, my mom's has long slender leaves, and mine has fatter, shorter leaves.

Anyways, I think that they may have been allowed to dry out on more than a few occasions as you mentioned could be an issue. Maybe I just need to start watering more frequently.

It's too bad too, because at one point last year, they were both growing really well.

Thanks Jack.

Remy

o

Sorry Remy ,forgot to mention , any mix recommended for Cymbidium Orchids will be suitable Ok ?
Jack

o

Thank you Jack.

Remy

o

Hi Remy,

Regards the best soil mixture for growing pineapples - I have a different opinion to Jack. Pineapples are strictly terrestrial in both their natural habitat and when grown commercially - never epiphytic. Therefore, I believe the best soil mix should be a rich, fine potting mix in a large pot, or grown in normal garden soil in the ground. They thrive on plenty of moisture and lots of fertiliser.
I hope this helps rather than confuse.

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Thanks Kerry.

I've also since read that they thrive on nitrogen.

Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here