Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

Fluting fasciata

paul_t23
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I bought a variegated clone of Ae. fasciata around 18 months ago. It has grown well and looks really healthy, apart from the fact that all of the leaves roll into tubes! They start out beautifully open and rounded, then progressively flute as they mature.

Here it is, right where it has been growing all along next to a clone of Ae. fasciata v. purpurea that shows no signs of fluting whatsoever.

{{gwi:466660}}

It is a real shame, because apart from the fluting it is a gorgeous clone. If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this, I'd love to find out.

Cheers, Paul

Comments (10)

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Yes ,i have had the same problem Paul ,it seems to be mostly lack of humidity ,the albo marginata can be along side and not suffer any where near as much ,the plants in my closed in building tend to do it less summer than winter ,so i can only assume that cold dry air does not suit it , it is a nice plants though ,
    Jack

• brom_adorer
    13 years ago

I don't know if this is related, but I have Nidularium innocentii Var linneatum, and its leaves tend to curve toward the side that has the most white lines. Could it be that the white tissue does not grow as rapidly as the green? Causing the edges to roll in your case, and to twist in mine?
    BA

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jack, hi BA, thanks for your thoughts.

BA, I have the same Nid. that does the same sort of thing but I'd never related that to the distribution of white vs green. Having had a look at it after your comments, that could well be the case.

And Jack, I hadn't thought of moisture being the factor in this case but if this clone looses moisture a lot more easily from the upper surfaces of its leaves, then it could well be. I don't know if I'll have any luck since I don't really think I have any spots that have a much higher humidity, but I'll certainly give it a try.

Thanks a lot for your ideas! Any others would be welcome as well. Cheers, Paul

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Hey Paul,

Just had a thought along the lines of the lack of humidity thing...I've had the same thing happen on a few of my Neo's over the warmer months, could it be a lack of water (or something else going awry?) in those particular leaf axil resevoirs that make that leaf only pack a sad ? Or...Maybe if the water level is low in that leaf and we get a few hot days, when the sun is on the plant, the water temperature sitting on that leaf rises due to it's small volume - which gives that leaf a dose of heatstroke (or broils it !?) which then causes the quilling effect? Might be something to try out as an experiment on some "duddish" plants ?...hmmm.

Cheers
    Graeme

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Paul,

I have a few normal Ae. fasciata that have fluted badly due to lack of water.

Your plant doesn't look too neglected though.

Rick

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Graeme, hi Rick, thanks for your thoughts.

That is one of the mystifying things about this plant - there doesn't seem to be anything like water shortage involved. There has always been plenty of water in the tank and leaf axils and the growing medium is free draining but stays moist below the surface layer, with the same medium and exactly the same watering as the v. purpurea next to it.

The lighting also seems to be "not guilty". It gets filtered light at approx. 50% shade right through the year with a bit more shading through the middle of the day in summer, and there are no other signs of stress in the way of discolouration or burn marks.

Still, it's worth giving some of these things a go. I'll try to find a spot for it where I can combine somewhat reduced light with a bit more watering, plus increased ambient humidity as per Jack's suggestion, and see how it goes!

Thanks again, Paul

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Paul ,i had another good look at your plant and considering that its alongside the Purple form wich by the way has not lost any colour .and the fact i do see a pink tinge in the Variegata plant ( wich it should not have ) i would also suggest that it also gets a touch more shade ,as both the albo marginata and the variegate do like a tad more shade , so along with humidity try that ,also i found that both those forms seem to need a bit more warmth ,
    Jack

• lynnhud
    13 years ago

This fasciata tends to flute even in Cairns hot season.
    I find it needs plenty of water.
    It is grossly variable but a good one is a real joy to the heart.
    The pink tinge is natural here. We even get it in straight fasciata and "Sangria' variegated gets quite pink.
    That fasciata var. purpurea is certainly grown well, congrats Paul.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Paul ,here's a couple of photos of a Ae,fasciata variegated that does not furl its leaves ,its a bit narrower in the leaves but a very distinct green and cream plant ,i do have a plant of the type you have that is more upright and broader leaved ,just thought i would show it for the interest
    Jack

{{gwi:466661}}

{{gwi:466662}}

• paul_t23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lyn,

Thanks a lot for your comments, much appreciated, and interesting to know that you have the same problem with it up in the wet tropics. Taking everyone's points together, I'm going to try to increase the watering and humidity and decrease the light a bit. It will be my job for the weekend to see if I can find or make a spot that will do it!

Jack, it's interesting to see the other variegated clone that you have and interesting that it doesn't seem to have the same problem. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers, Paul

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions