Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naoh123

Mixed light results

naoh123
10 years ago

I have a general question about being stuck in a mixed light position with a variety of broms. I have a patio recessed into my condo building facing the west. During spring through summer I get about 5 hours of direct sunlight (evening), about half of those hours dappled by the two trees by the building and the other half full-on unfiltered. I have a few Aechmeas (mostly recurvatas), a Neoregelia, a pair of Ananas and a whole mess of Tillandsias. I got most of my broms in early spring and they lived behind the sliding glass door to this patio since early March where I *think* they had to time to acclimate to this condition--that is no burning from the unfiltered sunlight as of yet and no lanky growth. They've all been moved outside since it stopped dropping into the 40's out here.

My question is as we move into the summer months will the periods of unfiltered sunlight be too much for the partial-shade broms (Aechmea/Neoregelia/Tillandsia)? I'm not concerned about the Ananas, it sounds like the more sun the better, but 3 or so hours of full sun on the others I'm not quite sure and am wondering if I should be thinking about making some arrangements for shade. Anyone else in a similar position who can share their experience? Thanks for reading.

Comments (4)