Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed light results

Posted by naoh123 5 (Illinois) (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 0:43

I have a general question about being stuck in a mixed light position with a variety of broms. I have a patio recessed into my condo building facing the west. During spring through summer I get about 5 hours of direct sunlight (evening), about half of those hours dappled by the two trees by the building and the other half full-on unfiltered. I have a few Aechmeas (mostly recurvatas), a Neoregelia, a pair of Ananas and a whole mess of Tillandsias. I got most of my broms in early spring and they lived behind the sliding glass door to this patio since early March where I *think* they had to time to acclimate to this condition--that is no burning from the unfiltered sunlight as of yet and no lanky growth. They've all been moved outside since it stopped dropping into the 40's out here.

My question is as we move into the summer months will the periods of unfiltered sunlight be too much for the partial-shade broms (Aechmea/Neoregelia/Tillandsia)? I'm not concerned about the Ananas, it sounds like the more sun the better, but 3 or so hours of full sun on the others I'm not quite sure and am wondering if I should be thinking about making some arrangements for shade. Anyone else in a similar position who can share their experience? Thanks for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed light results

What time does the full sun start. If around 3pm they should manage. As you have them out there now they will get used to the sun as it heats up.

o

That's great to hear, yes right around 3pm is when it manages to get over the building and hit the edge of my area.

o

I can only speak for the Aechmea as mine are in similar summer light and it should be fine if acclimated to the light. As far north as we are (Illinois & Wisconsin) the sun is not so harsh.

tj

o

Thank you guys/gals for the info. So far so good, the only ill-effect I've noticed so far was an ionanthan washing out of it's fuchsia tones, though I think this was my fault since it came straight from a greenhouse into this afternoon sun earlier this month without any sort of adjustment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here