Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailqld_gw

Confirming IDs

gailqld
14 years ago

I'm still learning the different broms and I would just like to confirm the ID on these more common ones.

I'm fairly sure the first 2 are Neo concentrica but not sure about the 3rd one. They are all planted in different parts of the garden and get varying amounts of sun

{{gwi:466713}}

{{gwi:466714}}

{{gwi:466715}}

thanks.

Comments (15)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Are those not all the same, gailqld? They look like they could be, particularly #1 and #3, but it's hard to say for sure.

I would not rush to label any of them Neo. concentrica. You're probably right in assuming there is some concentrica heritage there, but there are so many different forms of the species and so many similar looking concentrica hybrids that determining that what you have is actually the true species and not a hybrid is a very difficult call to make.

The reddish fingernails are making me think hybrid, unless the camera is reading the color wrong.

• matt15
    14 years ago

Yes they are all the same. Different shades of light has affected the way they have coloured.
    As for ID.... i'm guessing Neo "GeeWhiz" perhaps but honestly have no clue.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Gail,

Your Neos look similar to some in my garden, most of mine are Alan Freeman hybrids which are pretty common in southern Qld, a lot of mine are just labelled AF Hyb and I think they would be difficult to accurately put a name to.

Number 3 does look a little like one of my plants labelled GeeWhiz.

Cheers,

Rick

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I'll go out and check the colouring on the fingernails later when it is light enough but I know the top one is a very dark purple colouring.

Most of our broms have been bought from our local markets, mostly just from backyard growers. There is a local brom grower who sells there and have bought quite a few from her too. We've had these ones for a couple of years now so can't remember where we got these.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just found an older photo from when we bought the first one. I'd love an ID on the other two as well :)
    {{gwi:466718}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,
    Although the colour isn't real good, I'd say the one on the left is Nid. Longiflorum, the Neo. on the right is a Concentrica hybrid and the one on the bottom is Neo. Amazing grace.

All the best, Nev.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Nev. The one on the right is the same as the 1st pic at the top. I actually guessed right with Amazing Grace and thought the other was a Nidularium but hadn't done any further looking yet so extra thanks for saving me some time :)

I don't know if these will make any difference. I think these are closer in colour to the actual plants - not so bright and sunny today. The same order.
    {{gwi:466721}}

{{gwi:466723}}

{{gwi:466725}}

I'll make a note that they are Neo concentrica hybrids of some sort.

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another quick question about these. When I was reading another post about large neos, someone mentioned Gee Whizz was a big grower. That means that the last photo above probably isn't Gee Whizz or similar as it, as well as the other two, are all only small growers - they'd be lucky to reach 30cm wide, closer to 25cm. How big does Gee Whizz grow?

Bromeliads are so confusing, I've really been struggling to get my head around all this. Everytime I think I learn something, I end up even more confused!

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,

I can't help you about the size of Gee Whiz as I've only recently got a plant myself and it's still a pup, albiet a 'very large' pup.

As for you being confused, well there's a lot of us in the same boat as you. You must remember that a lot of the information on this forum is coming from growers with years and years of experience and even if it seems confusing now, it will come together as we get more experience ourselves.

There's always something new to learn about brom's from these experienced growers as well as the comments from the less experienced ones, and I for one, am grateful that these people are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with the rest of us.

It's like everything else worthwhile, the more you know, the more you realise there is still so much more to learn and that's what makes growing brom's such an interesting pastime. So like the rest of us, just enjoy it and keep learning.

All the best, Nev.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Hello,

I'm not very particular with the types of bromeliad that is why I have searched from Google and the link is posted here for your reference.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: types of bromeliad

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link gardenlover... I've spent many hours browsing google... just seems to make me more confused than ever.

Nev, I have learnt a lot just from reading these posts the last couple of weeks. It is making me want to try growing from seed and experiment more but I know I don't have the time or room to put into it yet... but later in a few years when the kids leave home it is definitely on my list! Also first I want to try to get my IDs worked out... I'm getting there slowly but with so much conflicting info on the net it makes it difficult. I would love to join a brom club but can't get out much and I don't think we have one nearby anyway. Shortly, I will be moving some of my broms (or at least their pups) to better positions as I work out what they are and what they like.

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,

Great to see you enthused about learning all the brom names & types etc...it is a daunting nightmare at the start but from personal experience of years collecting, growing and reading about them, you will prevail if you keep at it!! It's like anything in life, if you love it that much and "do it all the time" it soon becomes off-the-top-of-your-head stuff.

I think I can add a little to your posting. Firstly, the Neo. 'Amazing Grace' as offered by Nev is certainly correct. Secondly, when fully mature, Neo. 'Gee Whiz' is definitely a LARGE plant with VERY chunky wide leaves (up to 120mm). My 'GW' was around 80cm diameter just before flowering last summer. It also has a lovely lilac/light purple colouring in the centre when flowering, whereas concentrica hybrids will normally have a much darker purple/maroon/bluey colour, like the one in your photo with 'AG'. Your Photo 3 does look smaller than a 'GW', so I agree, it is most likely just a Concentrica hybrid of some sort ? (of which there are 100's).

If there is one piece of advice I could give beginner bromaholics, it is this;...."always try to buy plants with TRUE NAMES on them"...ones you can find and verify on the FCBS website, easily recognise and learn the parentage / history etc. Why I say that is because once you start seeing and learning which plants (including common species) are used as parents to make the common hybrids we all have, that will help you to be able to recognise the physical features / sizes / colours that make up a hybrid plant. I have a large number of "un-named orphan" hybrid Neos (that look very nice in the garden!!)...but I gave up years ago trying to identify them, as there is simply no point. No one can really say for sure who made them or where they came from etc...all because they dont have a NAME that was correctly passed on. However, what I can say, is that you can make a "fairly good guess" as to what species has gone into their make-up, just as you have done with the concentrica above.

Hope that helps, G

• gailqld
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Greykiwi. I know I will never be able to properly ID all my broms but it is good to know what the parents could be... at least then I can get an idea on possible size and conditions it would like. When we first started getting broms, we bought them to help fill up our new and very large garden and got most of them very cheap from a local brom grower who sold at our markets. Mostly she would have a lot of mixed pups and sell them for a couple of dollars a pup - some may not even have had names as I know she has crossed a few herself.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi greykiwi, welcome to our forum.

It's great to see another NZ'er join our ranks, especially one with brom. growing experience; and judging by your post, the fact that you are willing to share your knowledge with the rest of us makes it even better.

I hope you enjoy taking part in our forums and look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best, Nev.

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Thanks Nev, Yes have finally got my A into G and can now spare a lot more time to contribute and of course learn alot MORE from all you great folks. Cheers G

Sponsored
More Discussions