Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a dyckia?

Posted by randg 11 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 1:36

I bought it at my local urban garden last year. It was in the pot with a reddish clay soil (not potting soil), and the plant was just sitting on top of it, rootless. I presumably thought it was another one of those ornamental pineapple top that I have before that came off from the fruit.

I repotted it, I think it needs another repot soon, with some difficulties because of the thorns. Those thorns are vicious!

Unknown Bromeliad I

Unknown Bromeliad II

Unknown Bromeliad III

Is this another ornamental pineapple or a dyckia? Or was my first guess correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a dyckia?

Looks like a Dyckia to me. Go to fcbs.org and look in the Photo links and see if the Dyckia they show are like yours. You can choose both species and hybrids.

o

Could it also be a hechtia, according to Bancherd, a member of DyckiaBrazil forum?

Unknown Bromeliad IV

Unknown Bromeliad V

Unknown Bromeliad VI

Unknown Bromeliad VII

Unknown Bromeliad VIII

Here is the root structure:

Unknown Bromeliad IX

Unknown Bromeliad X

o

I did look at the fcbs.org, and my closest comparison is to Dyckia waechteri.

o

Your right they are both green but thats about all it was in common with it. Take a look at hechtia or maybe Orthophytum. There are a few Orthophytum that look like it also. Dyckia waechteri would be a rare find in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orthophytum

o

Sometimes when a plant is stressed it makes and ID almost impossible.

o

Yes, this plant was stressed. I placed in an area where my garden hose doesn't reach, and so I sometimes forget to water it, and the potting soil was poor.

Are all dyckias have similar flowers? Right now, I think this plant is flowering because on its center is something that is growing and the tip are pinkish. I'll take a picture next time. Identifying this bromeliad as a dyckia is getting further away and more like a ornamental pineapple, me thinks.

o

Hi! I know it is a little late-in-the-game to be answering your post. Sorry---but, I just joined and have been reading through folk's posts.

My vote would be that it is a Hechtia. Without seeing the bloom of the plant, though, it is pretty hard to tell for sure. I have many Bromelia, Puya, Hechtia and Deuterocohnia. Quite a few of them were gifts from friends who picked them up for me from neighbors who were thinning out their landscaping! I usually have to wait 2 to 3 years before they bloom, then photograph them so I can ID them accurately.

It is a lovely looking plant--keep an eye on it, look for the location as to where it eventually pups (off-shooting from higher up the trunk within the rosette is a good identifying marker that it is a Hechtia).

Hope this helps a little, anyways! ;-)

o

randg: Just read your post about your plant going into bloom.

If it is blooming scarlet with a fuzzy white center. You may have a Bromelia Balansae or Pinguin on your hands. Balansae grows MUCH larger. I have one in bloom right now & its leaves are 4.5' long!!

They are very wicked plants---But that is why I love them! =)

o

randg did you ever get a bloom photo?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here