Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devo_2006

Photos of some Purple Star hybrids

devo_2006
13 years ago

Neoregelia Purple Star has been a firm favourite of mine for years, and itÂs one of the few Grant Groves hybrids that really performs well in our climate. IÂve also found it to be a good plant for use in hybridising, so thought IÂd show off a few hybrids IÂve created from Purple Star.

The first is one IÂve recently registered, and it has been called Neoregelia ÂLife StarÂ. Purple Star was the pollen parent, while the mother plant was Neoregelia ÂExotica Misty PinkÂ. A lovely hybrid from Andrew Steens that has red striation, red nails, & a nice bright pinkish colouring in the cup on flowering. Life Star was the pick of a large grex, and it shows the best traits from both parents, as well as nice dark spines.

The plant has a nice purple flush even when not flowering.

{{gwi:468367}}

Then the Purple Star colouration really comes thru as the plant flowers.

{{gwi:468368}}

I really like the dark leaf spines.

{{gwi:468370}}

Years ago I started playing around with variegation experiments, and in the process did a few crosses using Gorrion as a mother plant. As would be expected most seedlings turned out to be albino & died, however, out of a few crosses, I did manage to get about a doz green seedlings.

This is one of them, Gorrion x Purple Star

{{gwi:468371}}

While this plant is not a revelation in its own right, it has been useful for further hybridising, and here are three hybrids that have come from this Gorrion x Purple Star hybrid. While still young they do show potential.

Crossed again with Gorrion, trying to get down to a mini size with the colour of Purple Star, but the stolons of Gorrion. *may take another generation to get all that*

{{gwi:468372}}

Crossed with Marble Throat

{{gwi:468373}}

{{gwi:468374}}

Finally, a variegated version, just starting to colour up.

{{gwi:468375}}

There are a few more PS crosses in the pipeline, so IÂll show some picÂs if any start to show potential.

Cheers, Andrew

Comments (16)

• neomea
    13 years ago

Hey Andy

Really like Neoregelia ÂLife StarÂ! Nice form, size and colour. Nice job!

Your variegated number is also looking very nice...Ah wish they werent soooo slooow to start though!

Cheers

Dennis

• graykiwi
    13 years ago

Great work Andrew,
    Yes, love the dark spines on 'Life Star' too.
    Is that Gorrion cross the nice peachy coloured one you showed at the Fiesta ?
    Looking forward to seeing the new ones "in-the-flesh" at a meeting soon !
    Cheers
    Graeme

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Good show Andrew ,yep " Life Star " gets it from me as well ,keep up the good work ,and the variegated plant looks like it will shape up very well allround ,
    Jack

• matt15
    13 years ago

Andrew your ÂLife Star is fantastic, hopefully it will make its way to OZ in the near future?

I purchased a darker unregistered purple Neo from Danny and Lindsy on the Qld Sunny Coast called "Rio Grande" which has some simular attributes in the spines and foliage. But it has no comparison of colour when in flower.

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Thanks for showing your hybrids. It's great to see what others are up to.

• bob61
    13 years ago

Great plants Andrew I really like the stripes and the purple color in the first one.
    And The marble throat plant kinda catches my eye also. The variegated one is going to be a winner. Lets have some more pics.

• avane_gw
    13 years ago

Very nice Andrew! I also like your Life Star a lot.

Purple Star is also one that I used quite a lot. None of them are as mature as yours are, but I think there will also be a few nice ones eventually. What I found very interesting about Purple Star is that in about all of the grexes, there are seedlings with a striated look - and I did not use it on any striated plant.

If not tomorrow, I'll get some pictures over the weekend.

Japie

• kerry_t_australia
    13 years ago

Hey Andrew,

You've been a busy brom boy! Great to see some excellent results for your hard yakka. That 'Life Star' is a winner.

If you achieve good results worth registering of the Gorrion x Purple Star crossed with others, will you need to get the former hybrid registered first, in order to register its subsequent progeny?

It seems you have not just been busy with your own hybridising. A little bird sent me a copy of the recent N.Z. Brom Society's journal, including the first of your series of articles featuring the work of other brom hybridisers. The article on "our Lisa" is excellent - well-written and very interesting, with good photos too. I look forward to future articles of the series. Congratulations!

I'm sure your society has good reason, but it's a pity the impressive N.Z. journal is inaccessible to non-members online. Any chance of that changing?

K :)

• bromeliaddict
    13 years ago

Andrew,
    Those are all really beautiful plants. 'Life Star' is a very special plant, and it looks like the variegated plant has great potential. I want to give the 'Marble Throat' cross its due credit, too! I'm curious to see how that one looks when it blooms.

Paul

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments on Neoregelia ÂLife StarÂ. It was created in 2004, and I wanted to see how the pups developed before I decided to register the plant, so itÂs been a very long wait!

That peachy coloured plant you mention Graeme was a Gorrion cross, but the pollen came from ÂExotica Misty PinkÂ, here is a photo of it from the Fiesta.

{{gwi:468376}}

I am guessing I will have to register that Gorrion x PS Kerry, based on what Lisa has indicated in the past, and IÂm OK with that as it is a nice plantÂhere is a pic of it grown hard.

{{gwi:468377}}

Here is another PS hybrid, itÂs Clarise crossed with Purple Star and showing a hint of banding. Now I plan to cross this back to some banded neoÂs to hopefully produce something nice, but I see no point in registering this plant as it is nothing special in its own right, and there are many around that are very similar, like that Bianca x Tiger. If I did have to register it I would not wish to release it, so whatÂs the point ?

{{gwi:468378}}

{{gwi:468379}}

Thanks for your comments on the hybridising article ;-) There are more in the pipeline, and IÂve really enjoyed doing them. I agree it would be great to have our journal available online as it is a quality product...IÂve emailed our web guru & asked the questionÂso weÂll have to wait & see.

Cheers, Andrew.

• sid_marx
    13 years ago

That 'Life Star' hybrid is a real stand-out Andrew, I am partial to a plant with prominent spines :)

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Just to set the record straight, I may have said something in the past about having to register intermediate steps, but if I did, it was based on something another hybridizer told me. My own subsequent experience has not borne this out, so I apologize for any confusion. What I have found is that if one parent is under formula, and that formula matches a named hybrid (either my own or somebody else's), they'll generally ask if that cv. was in fact the parent, so that it can be recorded as such. If it wasn't, then it will be recorded as a formula, and if you have no plans to release it, then there's no need to name or register it. I think other societies may have stricter policies about this sort of thing, but I'm not really sure, so don't quote me. ;-)

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Andrew ,

More goodies ? you have been busy hmmm? very nice effort ,the article on Lisa was great ,you have done an excellent job my friend ( round of applause to you ) and congrats to you Lisa ,it was a lovely write up about you (round of applause to you ) if you guys show to many more Neo's i may have to do Neo hybrids again ,don't corrupt me to much with all those goodies ok ?
    Jack

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jack, IÂm pleased you enjoyed the article on Lisa, I must say I have learnt a lot working on these hybridising articles, & it is interesting to see some similarities emerging on what drives hybridisers to do this sort of stuff.

Glad you could clarify that point Lisa, about registering those intermediate steps. The concept of just having a parent recorded under formula makes sense, & to my mind is better than just listing a parent as "unknown"or having to name it just because it was used in the process. I know that our society will accept show plants under formula, which I believe is a standard BSI rule.

Cheers, Andrew.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Oh yes, I also meant to say thanks, Andrew, for the lovely write up! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. Any clues as to who it might be?

• devo_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to you Lisa for the info & the photos, and I must also give credit to our editor & the production team who put everything together. Next article features NZ hybridisers who will be known to GW regularsÂIÂll say no more ;-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions