Houzz Logo Print
allan4519

More seedlings?

allan4519
13 years ago

Hi all,

just some seedlings.

{{gwi:468591}}

Would not suggest you try this cross unless you wish to do an F2 cross by crossing siblings as it was very unimpressive.

{{gwi:468593}}

I like this cross even though the image does not show the full potential of a mature plant. The actual flower head is approx 3 inch tall on a small plant.

{{gwi:468595}}

The next clone is one of a batch of Canistropsis coming into flower at present, am expecting the flower to be a large head on a small plant like above seedlings though the F2 cross of these will produce some very purple seedlings with choice large rich yellow flowers. am looking at using A nidularium innoscentii hybrid with large red inforesence (flower) to intorduce red into the canistropsis genus.

{{gwi:468597}}

Just a very choice clone of Neoregelia I am using to introduce purple variegated foliage from a Nidularium innocentii hybrid, into the neoregelia genus.

{{gwi:468599}}

Just some pretty Guzmania to finish off this selection of images, (lovely choice vigorous clones).

{{gwi:468601}}

am sure you all have pretty plants and some times I feel like showing off a few of my novel seedlings, hope you find them interesting? Have been doing lots of breeding to produce bi-generics and many are fertile.

Comments (10)

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hello Allan

I sent Splinter a couple of photo's of one of your seedlings we named Neo. Ladd's Eruption, maybe he might post it here for everyone to see some of the great work you do, it's a stunner.

Pinkbroms

• bob61
    13 years ago

Allan You have some great hybrids. The Aechmeas In the first pic. are really nice. Big blooms on small plants.
    Best Bob

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Allan ,good show ,how are you Mate ? keeping well ? good to see you are still doing stuff ,
    Jack

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

Nice plants Allan!

The A. winkleri might be better crossed with A. organensis or another yellow flowered Aechmea like manzanaresiana or do a bigeneric with Can. seidelianum or H./A. disjuncta.

I like those little Guzmanias. I have a small form of Fortuna you could use with them too.

Good luck with the Neolariums, some purple variegated ones would be excellent!

Cheers, Pedro

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Alan I like your plants and strategy for making some new stuff, but your statement "Just a very choice clone of Neoregelia I am using to introduce purple variegated foliage from a Nidularium innocentii hybrid, into the neoregelia genus." has me confused because the picture labels make no mention of xNiduregelia.

I've not had much luck getting the innocentii purple to carry through to xNiduregelias. I've also tried using Nid 'Ruby Lee' and so far I've not had good results.

Here is an xNiduregelia that I just noticed this weekend. The only one in the grex with stripes. The unidentified Neo pollen parent gave the stripes. This is a fairly slow grower since this seedling is almost a year old.

{{gwi:468604}}

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm just posting these two pic's of Allan's Neo seedling at Pinkbroms request, enjoy.

{{gwi:468606}}

{{gwi:468609}}

All the best, Nev.

• fdnpedro
    13 years ago

OK, someone changed the Neolarium of the old days to Niduregelia. Good luck with the quest, Allan! I'm sure the Cultivar Registrar will know what to call your bigenerics unlike me! Good luck with that stripy seedling, Bromadams.

Those plants at Ross's sure are interesting, Nev. I saw them recently too - Ross is keen to see the pups follow the same form - sure hope they do. The whole grex was so variable as well. Next time I visit, Ross, I'll introduce you to Photobucket, as I was a while back.

Cheers, Pedro

• rickta66
    13 years ago

Allan,

Nice looking plants, can you share the parentage of Ladd's eruption?

It certainly is a striking Neo.

Thanks,

Rick

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All, back again, Busy forum I must say??? Yep Pinkbroms that batch had some interesting outcomes, though must say that the parentage of many seedlings were mixed up in the end as I decided that only wanted the ones I had selected to keep the name tags attached, the Ladd's eruption seedling, was just a fluke from the Neo Medusa x Neo Scarlet Charlotte or reverse cross greck. Good luck Ross it is all yours.

Bob (bob61) yes, I have lots of choice hybrids, due to my insane addiction to growing broms from seed. That cross was soly aimed at producing a (pollen producing parent) clone to cross with Ae winklerii so as to reproduce Ae winklerii from seed. The intermediary hybrid is only a stepping stone.
    Good luck with your striped seedling, from experience many seedlings look promising though when they flower I often find them not as I would like?? good luck?

Hi Nev & Rick, thanks for the image am sure that seedling (Ladd's eruption) would come from either Neoregelia Scarlet Charlotte x Neo Medus or reverse cross. Pretty .

am busy so do not look at this forum much though occasionally will post so if you want to talk to me just email me.

Hi Jack nice hearing from you again.

Hi Pedro, is a bit late for using Ae. organensis (it was not around when I wanted it?) as have heaps of seedlings flowering from the hybrid cross flowering at this moment.
    Yep teach Pinkbroms to use photo shop and photo bucket will you???? lol

Hi bromadams, the statment; "Just a very choice clone of Neoregelia I am using to introduce purple variegated foliage from a Nidularium innocentii hybrid, into the neoregelia genus." is actually a choice neoregelia which produces variegated seedlings which I am currnetly setting seed on with Nidularium 'Nana'. with the intention of producing Neolariums (your choice of names).
    The following image shows seedlings from Nidularium 'Nana' X Neoregelia Scarlet Charlotte, I was slack and lost the reverse cross due to damp off as both parents produced masses of seed and all seed was viable.

The seedlings in this image are on the left and show variations in purple colour of foliage and the larger seedling is showing more neoregelia like qualities.
    This cross was an afterthought as I first tried to produce a Nidualarium by crossing Nid. 'nana' x Nidularium albiflorum though they would not produce seed while the neoregelia cross produced masses of seed?

{{gwi:468613}}

I do not come to this forum often. cheers allan

• pinkbroms
    13 years ago

Hi Guys

For more info. on this group of hybrids of Allan's as there are some in the grex with Ae. fasciata appearance also, look at Uncle Derek Says, What is a Mule.

Hope this helps Rick but it was a real mixed bag of seedlings, some are good, some ordinary & some strange things & some, well, we're not sure yet, Neo. Ladds Eruption is one of the best yet, we have a darker burgundy foliage form also & they are spineless as with a couple of the more fasciata looking type which we are waiting to see flower.

Pinkbroms

Sponsored
More Discussions