Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New problem

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 5:50

Hi
Have grown Broms for many years , and in my zone they are generally very easy until recently.
Something is tearing out the centers mostly concentrating on the flowers . Doesn't eat them nor carry them off just shredded and left near the plant.
What the heck is doing this and more importantly how can I stop it?? Happens at night no other species of plants are affected . Any ideas?? Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New problem

Racoons most probably. They love to munch on the inflorescence of Neo's.

o

Hi
Have had raccoons before but usually go after water garden. Was thinking possum as I've seen one recently. Odd that they just destroy it without eating and only broms .only at night. Have lots of cats but doubt they would do it.
They usually terroize the goldfish lol Whatever it's gotta go !!! Thanks gary

o

I am with gonz....racoons. I have a lot of possums here and they never bother the broms. Racoons bothered me once when they cleared a large wooded area and destroyed their homes. I got some Puma scent and that convinced them to move on.
Hey gonz I finally found those large funckiana

o

Hi everyone

garyfla - I live in Australia and we don't have racoons here, but we do occasionally get the same problem.

The culprits in our case are usually bush rats.

I have also known of the common rat to eat the centre out of Neoregelias when they have seed capsules in them as well. They just seem to rip out the seed capsules and leave them scattered around the leaves of the plant or on the bench nearby.

All the best, Nev.

o

Hi
I kind of suspect rats also though some of these are over 20 years old and never had a problem . I live in the inner city so avoid most of the larger wild life . Rats love the inner city lol
Do have possums ,cats ,stay dogs,squirrels and occasional stray kids but they usually go after the watergarden
Also recently noticed some iguanas which are herbivoros lizards not sure of their feeding habits
whatever it's getting past my neighbors big dogs .
Going to put out some motion sensor lights may not help but at least they won't be dining in the dark?? lol Thanks gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here