Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got a Holy Grail : Werauhia kupperiana

Posted by stephania Bangkok, Thailand (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 6:54

Due to some previous posts, I've openned my eyes for this brom for awhile
and finally, I got one from a collection of Nong Nooch Tropical Botanical Garden
in Pattaya, a well-known tourist attraction of my country.

Actually, this must be credited for our good friend, Lisa, because these beautiful specimens
came from Lisa via my friend, Mr. Anders Lindstrom, the curator of NNTBG
who had visited Lisa's garden in Hawaii years ago.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was selecting a nice one.

Finally, got this one back to my home (^_^)

Love its nice patterns.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got a Holy Grail : Werauhia kupperiana

My favorite. Those are beautiful. I wonder how long till my seedlngs are that size . . . I'll have to post an updated picture this afternoon.

o

• Posted by bob740 zone 6 ,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 12:25

Lucky you,Stephania,
That's a very nice selection you made. That leaf close-up
reminded me of little green pollywogs swimming in pond water. Lisa's plants are making a difference all around our world. Seems like you are being gradually converted into the rest of the bromeliad genera ? You're going to need more space! ;-))
Bob

o

I'm glad you got one, Stephania, but they're not spiny!

Nice to see my babies are doing well. I'm trying to think when he got those....... maybe 3 years ago? They were all 2" pot seedlings then, and they've still got a lot of growing to do.

The markings remind me of tadpoles too, Bob. Or maybe something else that you might see under a microscope, attempting to fertilize an egg......... ;-)

o

Ha...Ha...Haaa..Lisa !
Yes..I just watched the National Geographic 'The Womb Week' and I definitely agree.

BTW, I'ld like to know what kind of mix you grow your Werahia in HI, Lisa.
Here Mr Anders uses only coconut husk. I think I will change to be pumice, any idea?

o

Doesn't pumice dry out the mix, Stephania? In our cactus and succulent group they recommend adding it if you have a problem with things rotting in wet areas. I've used it for Aloes, but never for broms. I want the media to stay moist. I've even tried straight peat substrate on the Werauhias and it was fine, but usually I just use our regular mix, which is 6 parts black cinders to 2 parts perlite, 1 part peat and 1 part vermiculite.

I know other people that are using coir (coconut fiber) and they like it better than peat. I guess you don't really need to add anything to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here