a nice stricta x leonomiana, beautiful colored bracts

{{gwi:469322}}

Comments (18)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

Very nice specimens and beautifully grown

• bromadams
    13 years ago

I sure like that Silverado. Maybe I'll get a nice pup someday.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Gonzer, great pics and great plants. Like Nick, I just love that 'Silverado'. Thanks for sharing them. Cheers, Paul

• marleneann
    13 years ago

Gonzer you certainly have some nice plants.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Gonz

Your plants look great as usual, and even though I don't grow Tillandsias, I can still appreciate nice clean, well grown plants.

All the best, Nev.

• bob61
    13 years ago

Great plants gonzer. Silverado is a beauty even if it blooms premature. Man that is a great hybrid. Haven't bloomed stricta X leonomiana yet. I'm going to have to have a talk with that plant.
    Lets have some more pics.
    Bob

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Gonz, do you grow Creation? I'm not a Tilly grower either, but I like to keep this little guy around for the odd occasion it decides to bloom (one in back is in bud now too).

{{gwi:469323}}

• localoca
    13 years ago

Lisa is that Tillandsia Creation? Beautiful!

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Nicely flowered Lisa ,i am not a Tilly nut but thats one i do grow ,and in my estimation is as good a Tillandsia hybrid as there is ,and i do have a few ( very few ) seedlings of it crossed with Vr Splendens ,am only interested to see how the flowering is influenced ( purely experimental )its the first time i had any succes using it as a parent,
    Jack

• gonzer_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No I don't Lisa, tried it, but where I live isn't condusive to good looking specimens. Yours is killer!
    No new shots but this one of the common T.edithae stills excites me everytime it blooms. I have a much larger clump plus a new form (minor) that are pushing buds.

{{gwi:469324}}

{{gwi:469325}}

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

That could be interesting, Jack. Which way did you do the cross?

No, I'm not going to try anything like that. In addition to having no patience for Tills' slow pace, I'm also not motivated enough to go on a treasure hunt for Creation's floral parts.

• bob61
    13 years ago

Gonzer that edithae is Beautiful. Cross it with the leonameana plant.

• paul_t23
    13 years ago

Lisa, that 'Creation' is a stunner. I've been on the verge of getting one for a while. Now I just have to do it!

Gonzer, that edithae is also a stunner. I have a few of them that I've bought just because I like the plant form, without ever getting around to finding out what they're like when they flower. Now I know, and I can't wait! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Cheers, Paul

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Lisa, does Creation's flowers have the nice smell of its parent cyanea?

Bob, there aren't many cross with edithae. I've not had any luck with it.

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

If it does, it's not strong, Nick. I'll have to go put my nose in there and check if there's even a hint, but I've been working in that shadehouse and haven't noticed a fragrance the way I do when there's a cyanea blooming. With that amount of flowers open, you'd think it would be pretty potent!

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Okay, I gave it the sniff test and there is a faint carnationy fragrance, but not something you'd notice if you weren't looking for it.

• vriesea
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa ,sorry for the slow reply ,the Tillandsia Creation was the pod parent ,as for me the Vr splendens selfes to easily and i needed pollen that will be capable of sending its threads into the immature ovaries and as Splendens Major has a very long stigmatic tube this seemed the best way to go ,i will try again with a few other things ,but yes dissecting the flowers to find all its little " wobbly " bits for pollinating is a bloody pain !
    Cheers ,Jack

• bromadams
    13 years ago

Jack, you must have noticed the pleasant smell when you were pulling on the petals?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions